ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Tutorial or tips on complex 3D camera movements in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karim Daire
Tutorial or tips on complex 3D camera movements in AE
on Oct 29, 2009 at 12:20:38 am

I have been working with after effects 3D layers and camera for a while now and its fun and gets me great results when working on a clean z-axis, it always gets really messy when working with rotation of the camera on all axis like when establishing a map and then following a path like a road with a camera hovering above it.
I just found the following clip and I really wonder how to animate complex 3D camera movements like this in AE:

http://www.trapcode.com/gallery/RNMIdent_s.mov

Does anyone have hints on how to plan your workflow considering working with several nulls and how to stack them or is there even a good tutorial on that matter which anyone remembers??

Thanks for any hints in advance

Karim

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Tutorial or tips on complex 3D camera movements in AE
on Oct 29, 2009 at 5:02:21 am

There are several such resources listed here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Oct 29, 2009 at 7:42:34 am

When creating such effects, it is ideal that you switch off the camera's Auto Orient. To do this, select the camera and head on to the Layer>Transform menu. Set the camera's auto-orient to off.

This will allow you to position and orient your camera based on its position and orientation values without issues related to the Point of Interest.

HTH
RoRK

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

jeff dobrow
on Oct 29, 2009 at 2:33:38 pm

Stock answer:

Created 3D null object. Parent camera to null.
Apply 'separate x,y,x' animation preset controller to the null.
Animate this effect on the null to move your camera.

The core problem is always that a key set on the cam position affects x,y,z at every keyframe,....which is far from ideal when working with complex motion.
This technique allows for much more control as well as sweet curves unique to respective x,y,z motion.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]