ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

text crawl

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Susan Coxtext crawl
by on Oct 28, 2009 at 3:18:27 pm

I have been asked to create a text crawl that will have about 20 minutes worth of content. Is after effects the way to go? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Susan

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: text crawl
by on Oct 28, 2009 at 4:34:14 pm

I work at a TV station. I'd have the CG operator paste in copy from a text file and run a lower-third crawl. Any reason why it can't be done that way? That's a long, LONG crawl.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Susan CoxRe: text crawl
by on Oct 28, 2009 at 4:51:43 pm

Hi Dave,

This is a one off broadcast for a corporate client, and we are mimicking a news show. The text crawl is one of the graphic elements that I'm creating. Unfortunately, for me, the approval of the content is going to come at the last minute and I have to give the video operators a quicktime file that they will super over whatever is on screen.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this and set it up now with dummy text till I get the final.

Thanks for your help.

Susan

Return to posts index

by on Oct 28, 2009 at 5:09:32 pm

[Susan Cox] "he approval of the content is going to come at the last minute and I have to give the video operators a quicktime file that they will super over whatever is on screen"

....and so you feel the process of creating a crawl in AE with the updated text file, rendering it, transferring it to a server and rolling it would be faster than giving the CG operator an updated a text file, copying and pasting?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Oct 28, 2009 at 5:34:05 pm

we don't have a character generator, this "graphic" will be running as a loop on dedicated mac, I believe out of quicktime. Sorry, I should have explained that in my last post.

Believe me if I could hand this over to someone I would.

Susan

Return to posts index

by on Oct 28, 2009 at 6:35:19 pm

For delivery you'll need to get the H&V resolution they want, frame rate, preferred codecs and if they need an Alpha Channel.

AE has a way to make text single line. Like you, I'd have to look it up in AE Help. Then it becomes a matter of cutting & pasting a text file into the text layer. You probably know how you want it to loop.

I recommend making the text layer left-justified, and making TWO comps. One comp is simply for seeing the text. The other is for animating the text. When change time comes, you paste the revised text layer into the animation comp, copying and pasting keyframes from the old layer to the new one, and tweaking the end keyframe of the animation.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Oct 28, 2009 at 7:33:26 pm

Thanks,

That's exactly my plan with the exception that I thought I would lay out the text in illustrator.

I knew there wasn't a more automated way to do this but I thought I should ask.

Thanks,

Susan

Return to posts index

by on Oct 28, 2009 at 10:26:57 pm

Its one virtue is that it's pretty simple to change. The other is that it isn't a ROLL. They're a right royal pain.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]