ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After effects Keying glitch, how do I fix?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kurt hudsonAfter effects Keying glitch, how do I fix?
by on Oct 28, 2009 at 2:26:09 pm

Ive been using after effects for 4 years now and been all of my footage on the same camera as well and have never seen this problem before. Everytime I key out my footage and then render I have random glitches appear in my footage COMPLETELY random as in they appear in different places each time I render and not always in the same place. It looks like a line of gain or distortion, like this

glitch

glitch

and I cannot seem to get rid of it... It even does it when I export my footage and its killin me... if someone can help me with this problem please let me know! thanks!

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: After effects Keying glitch, how do I fix?
by on Oct 28, 2009 at 3:47:52 pm

It looks like a CODEC issue. You may want to replace one of the footage items again to test if this is correct. Otherwise you'll have to render multiple times and edit out the bad parts - hopefully the glitches don't overlap.

HTH
RoRK

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

kurt hudsonRe: After effects Keying glitch, how do I fix?
by on Oct 28, 2009 at 4:09:07 pm

I tried a couple different compressions and still got this issue, its weird because everytime its in different places... I was going to render multiple times and edit out the bad parts as a last resort but I figured that would be one way to solve the problem... have you personally had this issue before? how was it solved?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After effects Keying glitch, how do I fix?
by on Oct 28, 2009 at 4:30:46 pm

It looks like those shots might be 16x9, which means it could be HDV, which means you should compress the source video as little as possible before importing it into AE. As a Mac guy, I like the Animation Codec or the PNG codec (yes, there's a PNG codec), both set to best quality. They're lossless.

Why jump through all those hoops? Read on:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Oct 28, 2009 at 4:34:46 pm

Hey thanks Dave! Its actually HVX 200 720x24pn (960x720) and im stretching it out to be 1280x720 to be 16:9. I tried using the raw footage as well as sending it thru final cut to be compressed again and im still getting the same problem. Im going to try the animation codec like you said, ill let you know if it helps. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

by on Oct 28, 2009 at 4:40:23 pm

[kurt hudson] "...Its actually HVX 200 720x24pn (960x720)..."

REALLY??? You shouldn't have any trouble whatsoever with DVCPro HD on a Mac! That codec is about as bulletproof as they come.

There's something else going on here. If it's an intermittent problem as you describe, we're going to need a whole lot more information to track town a really obscure problem.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Oct 28, 2009 at 4:46:33 pm

let me know what you need to know, im working on it right now so ill be able to keep you updated. thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

by on Oct 28, 2009 at 4:56:56 pm

I'm working fast here, so you may have already mentioned some of this stuff.

Using Open GL? Don't.
Got other HDV footage in the shot? Convert it, too.
Using multiprocessing with insufficient memory, at least 2GB/core? Cut back on the cores AE uses for multiprocessing or just turn it off if you only have about 8GB.

Any specific reason to work 1280x720? Why not just stick with 960x720?
Got any weird kind of stills in the comps, say from Corel Draw or something weird like that? Don't.
Try using the purge after x number of frames trick in AE's Secret Preferencess -- Shift>Preferences. Look for it.
If using keylight, scrutinize your matte in the B&W display of the matte. I forget what they call it. If it's not up to keylight's idea of a good matte, okay, fix it and use the Keylight layer as a track matte for an unkeyed instance of the footage.

That's about all I can think of. Gotta go....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Oct 28, 2009 at 4:31:36 pm

The issue is with the CODEC of the source, specifically the decoding part - just a guess on my part. It looks like AE, through the video architecture via the CODEC isn't able to decode the source footage accurately. The artefacting that you're seeing is what you normally get with a poorly encoded digital image. I am doubtful that your issues are related to the CODEC that you are rendering with.

Test the source. Try to redigitize if you can. And nope I haven't had this issue while keying.

Good Luck
RoRK

Return to posts index

Tony SilvaRe: After effects Keying glitch, how do I fix?
by on Oct 28, 2009 at 6:59:19 pm

bah, fix it in post! :)

how often does it appear? every frame? once a minute?
Does it only glitch out on this footage? I would try shooting something else as a quick test, maybe it was a bad transfer from the p2 card?

Return to posts index

by on Oct 28, 2009 at 8:45:21 pm

Ive tried everything it only does it randomly in different places each time i render or ram preview... i might just have to do a few renders and edit out the shitty bits... unless you might be able to help? :)

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: After effects Keying glitch, how do I fix?
by on Oct 28, 2009 at 7:02:27 pm

Actually had a similiar looking problems years ago, back in the 4.5, 5.0 days. With a much much slower cpu and a lot less RAM. Wasn't the import footage or codecs, but the computer. Would happen on all sorts of things that involved a lot of processing. New computer solved everything and haven't had that problem in years.

Try the "secret" preferences screen(hold shift+cntl when opening preferences). Disable layer cache and turn on purge frames, say every 10 frames.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
http://www.ckandco.net

Return to posts index

Ray CrownRe: After effects Keying glitch, how do I fix?
by on Oct 28, 2009 at 8:25:48 pm

Some Times I user OpenGL render Make problem just like you,and then i switch to Best Setting in after effects,And the result is good,

Also some sapphire plugin make some noise sometimes,You may need to check which plugin in your after effects,

Return to posts index

by on Oct 29, 2009 at 7:36:19 am

Many thanks to John and Ray for their input. It's still difficult to pin-point the issue becaue the original poster didn't see these artefacts during previews. So it's likely a memor yissue related to rendering/CODEC.

Hpewfully things get sorted out for now and later.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

by on Oct 29, 2009 at 1:20:15 pm

Ive actually been seeing the artifacts in RAM preview as well as rendering out... how would I change my codec for a RAM preview? Ive tried 3 different ways exporting the footage from final cut into AE and each so far have given me problems... I love technology sometimes :P

Return to posts index

by on Oct 29, 2009 at 2:34:30 pm

[kurt hudson] "Ive actually been seeing the artifacts in RAM preview as well as renderin"

Okay then, here's just a formality: have you double-checked the footage on the problem frames, both in AE and in a different media viewer?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Oct 30, 2009 at 11:20:19 am

Other than what Dave says, I would try a different keyer just to see if that's part of the issue. And do provide more info on your footage, comps, render/output module and effects used.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]