ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Good balance between quality and file size?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon BoutellGood balance between quality and file size?
by on Oct 28, 2009 at 4:18:07 am

I'm looking to export some video game recordings, but I can't seem to find a good codec or setting to keep a significant amount of quality and a low file size. I used to have a perfect preset saved, but it got lost over the months.

I've tried .F4V, which is great, but when I upload it to youtube the sound becomes de-synced. If there's a way to fix this, that'd be great.

I'm currently exporting as a .WMV, and a 1 minute video is 11MB, and there's still a lot of compression artifacts.

Help please?

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Good balance between quality and file size?
by on Oct 28, 2009 at 4:15:08 pm

it doesn't sound like you need ae to transcode media that you have captured. you'd be better off using a compression utility like mpeg streamclip (it's free and multi-platform, just search the web for it). it can create .mp4 with h.264 encoding, which should work well for youtube.

if you have cs4, them you should have adobe media encoder, it should produce similar .mp4 or .mov files with h.246 or apple's mpeg-4 encoder.

if you were adding to the captures with ae, then i'd render out at as high of quality as possible from ae, then compress using a utility (note, media encoder can render ae comps too).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Good balance between quality and file size?
by on Oct 28, 2009 at 4:25:14 pm

Kevin's workflow is great as described, and here's WHY you should use it: AE stinks at doing high-quality compression. It's just intended to show a project's progress... real down & dirty stuff.

Make the highest-quality you can in AE, then follow Kevin's recommendations.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved