ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to link pre comps

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam EvansHow to link pre comps
by on Oct 27, 2009 at 5:23:10 pm

I have a Composition that uses 3 nested pre comps. The first has the text and the final makes my title screen. But I need to create about 20 different titles. I would like to duplicate the set of compositions 20 times to create all of the titles so I can render them all out and change anything down the road.

When I duplicate the original folder of 4 comps, I then have to relink the new comps to each other or else they all link to the original. How do I go about this without all of the time of re-linking?

If this doesn't explain what I'm looking for, let me know and I'll get the files Im using up somewhere to look at.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: How to link pre comps
by on Oct 27, 2009 at 6:20:44 pm

there's not an easy way taht i know of to do what you are asking... maybe a script could be written to duplicate a selected comp, duplicate any nested comps within it and replace the nested comps with new duplicates, but it's way beyond my programming skills and there are potential pitfalls with nested comps within the nested comps...

it would seem that the easiest way may be to create 20 different titles in the first comp, then just show the title you want to render and hide the others, then render the final comp. obviously you'd need to do this for each title (which i think is what you'd like to avoid), but at least if you needed to make changes, you'd have all the titles ready to go.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Bartek SkorupaRe: How to link pre comps
by on Oct 27, 2009 at 7:25:40 pm

I face this problem a lot and here is how I deal with it:

1. Create your first set of comps
2. Save your project
3. Open a new project
4. Import your saved project 20 times.

The result is that you have 20 duplicates of the set of comps with all the links you need.

Bartek Skorupa
Warszawa, Poland

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: How to link pre comps
by on Oct 27, 2009 at 8:17:42 pm

perfect :)

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Adam EvansRe: How to link pre comps
by on Oct 27, 2009 at 8:57:07 pm

That works. Thanks for the idea. Wish I'd thought of that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]