ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Water Cooler Transition in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason BenjaminWater Cooler Transition in After Effects
by on Oct 27, 2009 at 2:07:05 am

Ok so i am looking for a high end transition style I see a lot of different places. HGTV does it. It's like an advanced gradient wipe, a really organic water color transition. I have been playing AE for a while trying to finesse the gradient wipe using fractal noise, but its just not right. Any tips from some people who have actually done it? Did I make myself clear?

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Water Cooler Transition in After Effects
by on Oct 27, 2009 at 11:53:50 am

I use custom transitions and organic wipes quite a bit, but I'm not familiar with one referred to as a "Water Cooler Transition" ... could you upload an example?

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: Water Cooler Transition in After Effects
by on Oct 27, 2009 at 3:23:14 pm

The trick to "getting it right" with any organic transition is to design the grayscale animation properly first. Creating a clip that begins all in white and ends all in black makes the transition easy.

I have no idea what a water cooler effect is but it sounds more like Foam and Waveworld will give you better results than Fractals.

You could always shoot video of your water cooler.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Jason BenjaminRe: Water Cooler Transition in After Effects
by on Oct 27, 2009 at 3:28:21 pm

http://www.finemaker.pl/# If you click on his reel the very first shot has what I am talking about. Ill play with caustics and see what happens. Any other suggestions would be helpful

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Water Cooler Transition in After Effects
by on Oct 27, 2009 at 5:27:09 pm

That first transition appears to be just a custom wipe (aka reveal) using a silhouette of a tree. As you see in that demo, it's pretty effective when done well, but it's also very simple ...

Just take an already silhouetted image (or silhouette one suing anyone of the very many PS or AE techniques), move it from screen left to screen right and, depending on the image, either use an animated mask to reveal the footage behind it or use the silhouetted image itself as a track matte.

I hope that helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]