ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Replacing missing footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad SloanReplacing missing footage
by on Oct 26, 2009 at 11:52:12 pm

I have an issue when trying to replace missing footage. Since the last time I opened this project, I have re-arranged all of the files and file-structure of my PC. So I follow the steps to replace the missing footage. The problem arises when it automatically then tries to replace all other footage that was in the same original folder. Usually this is handy, but there are so many files under a completely no-longer-existing file structure, that it crashes the program every time. I did have one smaller subset of files that I was able to replace like normal, because it only did a few at a time. So I know that the system can do it. It just seems to get overwhelmed when trying to do it with a lot

Is there any way that I can force it to only replace individual files without automatically looking for all the rest? Or only a few at a time?

Return to posts index

Theo VeltmanRe: Replacing missing footage
by on Oct 27, 2009 at 4:56:58 am

Try moving all the footage onto a separate volume and move back a few files at a time. open your project reconnect the files you copied save then copy some more over. It should auto replace all the files you copied and be fine as long as you don't move two many at a time. Alternatively break your main project into smaller ones i.e. if you have a few precomps reduce your master project to these and save each one off separately then load each one at a time, reconnect the footage and save it off. Then reload these into a new master project and do a consolidate footage to remove any double up links. Run a couple of instances of After Effects (sorry I can't remember how to do this on a PC) at the same time and this shouldn't take to long to do.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Replacing missing footage
by on Oct 27, 2009 at 5:18:01 pm

In addition to what Theo said, please file a bug report. Crashes are bad, and we want to know about them so that we can fix whatever is causing them.

There's information on this page about filing bug reports and using the crash reporter.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved