ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Auto Levels killing white levels

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kerry McCroryAuto Levels killing white levels
by on Oct 26, 2009 at 10:23:54 pm

I am hoping one might assist me in a problem i am having with some video i captured on Mini HDV tapes. I imported the footage with premiere, and have exported it out to the Blueray m2v format for AE editing. My issue lies in that when i imported the footage from the camera all of the white levels appear brownish, like a brown eggshell instead of a white eggshell.

What i do to remedy this is i tried the auto levels, and it works, kind of. the subject of the footage is a hand drawing on a white piece of paper. when the hand is on the screen the levels look great, as soon as the hand leaves the frame, the footage turns a pixelated mix of purple and brown and blacks. Ive been doing some research on this and im not quite sure where to turn.

I think the issue might be how the footage was shot, although i was sure to adjust my white balance when shooting.

some specs if needed,
the footage was shot on a SonyXV something,
MiniDV tapes at 1080x1440 1.333 aspect ratio (at least thats how it imported into premiere.)

the project settings are 1080x1440

thats about it,

Return to posts index

Danny WinnRe: Auto Levels killing white levels
by on Oct 26, 2009 at 11:45:47 pm

First let me just say that if your camera has a manual "White Balance" option you should always use it, make it a habit so your whites don't come out looking brown. My guess is that you shot it with regular indoor lighting.

The thing about auto levels is that it changes as the scene changes, that's why it's doing what it's doing.

I would get rid of the Auto Levels effect and try messing with the "Hue and Saturation" or maybe the "Curves" settings. The truth is that if your whites are not already white, it is very difficult to change them in post. But, you should be able to get a more pleasing look than what you have now.

Best of luck!

Return to posts index

Kerry McCroryRe: Auto Levels killing white levels
by on Oct 27, 2009 at 12:07:27 am

thank you very much,

i work in post mainly and am new to actually recording, this was my first actual recording gig. ill give H&S a shot and see if that helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved