ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Starting work/portfolio

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cody LereStarting work/portfolio
by on Oct 26, 2009 at 8:45:31 pm

So I'm pretty new to designing. I've been messing with web design a little and lately have been working on motion graphics in AE. I notice a lot of people who have a portfolio and/or demo reel advertise work they have done for a company. Being as I am new to this, I have not done work for anyone so I have two questions.

a) Where would I go to find some beginning work I could do for people to put into a portfolio (profitable or not) and nothing extremely complicated. Something I would be able to design and learn from.

b) Should a demo reel be made up of previous work for customers or should it be a completely new set of work strictly for the reel?

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Starting work/portfolio
by on Oct 27, 2009 at 11:56:44 am

There is a lot of good info on this subject already in this and other forums on the COW and several recent ones ... try a past posts searches for words like "demo", "reel", "portfolio" etc.

Return to posts index

Dave JohnsonRe: Starting work/portfolio
by on Oct 27, 2009 at 5:55:09 pm

While looking for something else, I came across this string that has some thoughts from various people that should be helpful:

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Starting work/portfolio
by on Oct 27, 2009 at 7:53:14 pm

Adding to David & Dave's advice:

a) Don't bother. If they can't pay you, their company name would probably be meaningless on a reel. Just make up a graphic animation that looks good enough to pay for, and there's no need to include a company name. Look at the reels on motionographer and elsewhere -- not all of them show client names.

b) It should be made up of the best stuff you've got, whether it's all client, all self-directed, or a mix. If your client work sucks (or you don't have any), don't show it. Above all, the reel has to hold the viewer's interest. If it doesn't do that (too many clips from the same job, clips too long, dull clips), then you need a new reel. If you can't hold somebody's interest with your stuff, learn how ... or learn to accept a role as an operator, not a designer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved