ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Shock wave warp effect, issues and solutions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Conan StottShock wave warp effect, issues and solutions
by on Oct 25, 2009 at 2:41:34 am

Hi :-)

I am having a variety of issues with an effect that I am attempting.
Imagine a character walking around a corner, sees a portrait on the wall which brings back all kinds of painful memories for him. When he sees the portrait I want the portrait to emit a shock wave kind of thing, like the walls around it depress and the character actually gets hit with it.

I have used Caustics with Wave world or radio waves to attempt this but no matter how long I muck about it looks naff.

Using Optics Compensation had potential, I think I could do something with it, except I cant work with it as I keep getting this message.

"After Effects error: unable to allocate space for a 2998x2998 image buffer, you may be experiencing fragmentation. in the Memory & Multiprocessing Preferences dialog box, try increasing the RAM to leave for other applications, and selecting the Enable Disk Cache option in the Media and Disc Cache panel"

I have tried playing about with the multiprocessing settings and such, but I cant get this to work for me. I am using a Mac Pro, 8 Core, 2.8Ghz , 3TB Raid 1, 6 gb ram. Is there anything I can do or do i need more ram?

Better yet, any suggestions on how to achieve this effect without using Optics Compensation?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thank you

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Shock wave warp effect, issues and solutions
by on Oct 26, 2009 at 12:06:54 am

You would benefit from more RAM for multiprocessing -- 2 GB per core at a minimum; 3 GB or 4 GB per core would be preferable.

You might try making your shock wave effect with the Displacement filter, using Radio Waves to generate the displacement map.

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.
Presentation, Motion Graphics & Widescreen Design
RenderBreak: A Blog on Innovation in Production

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved