ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

multiple comps same settings

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rem Puscariumultiple comps same settings
by on Oct 23, 2009 at 3:28:43 pm

i have a bit of a problem i can`t seem to wrap my head around and solve: i am compositing 46 shots of multiple render passes for an animation. i`ve worked on shot 1 and now would like to work on my other 45. problem is i dont want to dublicate comps and replace footage cuz it would take a bit o time, but, most important, i would like to, after i have the rest of the takes all comped out, be able to change just one take and the changes should be transfered to the others. the only solution i`ve got is not really viable: duplicating comps, replacing footage and writing parent expressins for the effects. i have just to many of both nested comps and filters.

soooo, any ideas?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: multiple comps same settings
by on Oct 23, 2009 at 7:13:01 pm

[Rem Puscariu] "...the only solution i`ve got is not really viable: duplicating comps, replacing footage and writing parent expressins for the effects. i have just to many of both nested comps and filters.... "

With all the elaborate compositing you've done, you may have painted yourself into a corner. As far as I know, the way you're currently doing it is the only way to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rem PuscariuRe: multiple comps same settings
by on Oct 23, 2009 at 8:03:08 pm

the thig is i`m very organised, i`ve got everything named out good and proper (in case i might need an expression with a string variable) thinking i might get to this. let`s say i were to start from the beggining, would it be possible to paint my way, as you say, into an open clearing, a place from where i could get all my takes to be the child of one, adjustments and all.
i was wondering, would it be possible to create a comp in after effects that would be a template comp? I once made a composition with a text layer that wrote the name of the comp, so that i would only need to duplicate the comp and rename it, it saved me precious time since there was a lot of text involved. could i do something like this, but have the layers within the comp change accordingly to the name of said comp?
like having a layer named take(namecomp).iff. It might be silly of me to ask this particular question, but this is the kind of solution that pops to mind, I can`t think of anything else.

thank you

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: multiple comps same settings
by on Oct 23, 2009 at 8:23:48 pm

You could make life a LOT easier for yourself if you could eliminate the nested comps and expressions. You could then paint yourself out of the corner.

If you can do that, it becomes a simple matter of duplicating a comp, highlighting the footage and using the replace footage command.

I don't see how creating a template would help in the least in your situation.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: multiple comps same settings
by on Oct 24, 2009 at 2:33:29 am

It's impossible to give you definitive steps cos you've provided nothing substantive to work with.

What I can add is to NOT USE a footage item directly within a comp. Instead drop any footage item into its own comp and use the comp as the main asset. This way, you will only need to replace the footage item once in the project panel.

Try to restrict Expressions to within the same comp. ALthough you can Google for scripts that update Expressions across comps but that's going to be a PIA with 45 comps to work with.

HTH
RoRK

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

by on Oct 24, 2009 at 7:22:53 am

Well, there`s not much to say really. My question, in a nutshell: could it be possible to have a script that generates comps based on layer names (source names really) and a premade comp as a reference. Imagine comp001 that has layerA001.etc, layerB001.etc, layerC001.etc and so on. Generete from this comp002 with layers... well, you get the ideea. All I would need is appropriately named footage.

Duplicating and replacing footage it is then. Thank you for your answers.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: multiple comps same settings
by on Oct 24, 2009 at 10:01:05 am

What you want is doable but it'll delimit you to using rather non-intuitive names to your footage and comps - maybe that's not an issue. You should try the COW's Expression forum with your Q. And there's also http://aenhancers.com/ . You can search and see if they have something in their repository or write a request.

Cheers
RoRK

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

by on Oct 24, 2009 at 1:30:39 pm

i found Immigration on aescripts.com, thanks

Return to posts index

Greg NeumayerRe: multiple comps same settings
by on Mar 12, 2010 at 9:09:29 pm

If it's helpful for future ideas...

I had a project that just needed a headline of text replaced (and jersey number) for 42 or so comps. I set up my text in an Illustrator comp, then used the AE comp's layer number to drive an expression that offset the Y (vertical placement) of the linked AI file the same number of pixels that the lines of text were spaced. This way, when the client added player #43, I only had to add layer #43 to my comp and update my AI file to have a 43rd line of text. //expression said something like "y position is layer number * 50 pixels.

Antifreeze Design
http://www.antifreezedesign.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]