ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

need quick help with process

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brownneed quick help with process
by on Oct 23, 2009 at 2:48:28 pm

Hey Guys,

I have 265 layers that I'm rotating in a ripple fashion from one side of the screen to the other...I need to move 10 layers at a time down 1 frame in the comp. I know I could set something like this up in PS action tab...but I'm horrible with scripts in AE...can someone point me in a direction? I guess I could be halfway done by the time I've finished this post...I'm just interested in cleaning up my process.

-Jason

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: need quick help with process
by on Oct 23, 2009 at 5:47:14 pm

without watching over your shoulder, I'd say if you had used Card Dance or Card Wipe you wouldn't have much of a problem.
You can still do that, just precompose your 256 layers and apply Card to the precomp. Easy to move any of the sources around in the precomp.

> I need to move 10 layers at a time down 1 frame in the comp. <

Don't know what that means, sorry. Down positionally or down temporally?

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Jason Brownflipping hexagons to different color
by on Oct 23, 2009 at 6:39:38 pm

I needed to move them Temporaly...I already did that...just selected them and used the keyboard shortcut alt+pgDn it moves them one frame @ a time...it worked.

The bigger issue is this:

I'm trying to have several hexagons and rotate them 180 degrees. I want the backs of them to be white and I'll use this as a matte transition precomped as black/white.

I did this with one simple hexagon...set the anchor point to +.0001 - rotated it...duplicated it...set the anchor point of the duplicated one to -.0001 (changed color to white).

This worked beautifully with one hexagon. For some reason, when I put all of them together and flip them...they change (cut) to white before the keyframed rotation even starts...I'm a bit confused as to why this is happening.

Here's a screenshot to give you an idea of what I'm trying to do.

http://www.jbtwist.com/CC/hexagon.jpg

I've never used card dance or wipe...I played with them for about 1 hour, and I couldn't get them to do what I wanted...

-Jason

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: flipping hexagons to different color
by on Oct 23, 2009 at 7:17:17 pm

Why not build a 3D object in a precomp? Set one layer's z-distance to 0.5 and the other's to -0.5. Then populate the main comp with the objects.

If you're handy with expressions, you could simply animate one flip, then write an expression to delay the others in the order you want.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jason BrownRe: flipping hexagons to different color
by on Oct 23, 2009 at 8:21:03 pm

OK...thanks for your help Dave.

The problem is that I have about 265 (enough to fill a 720p full frame). They are all placed equidistant from each other and if I tried to replicate that with precomps, it would take a ton of time and be hard to get exactly right.

Is that what you are telling me? Take one precomp with one hexagon...rotating and duplicate that in a main comp?

Just making sure.

-Jason

Return to posts index

by on Oct 23, 2009 at 8:27:28 pm

[Jason Brown] "...Take one precomp with one hexagon...rotating and duplicate that in a main comp? "

It's not as scary as you think. Are you forgetting about the Replace Footage command? As long as the little thingy in the nested 3D comp is the same size as what you have now, it's a real snap!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Oct 23, 2009 at 8:45:29 pm

Dave...you are a genius!

Thanks man...this accomplishes the issue I was having...I use replace all the time...I didn't think about replacing a layer with a composition...I normally don't do that, only replace footage with footage and comps with comps...just not part of my normal workflow.

Now...should I use the existing rotation of the layer...or rotate inside the precomp to change the color?

-Jason

I love this forum, you guys are so great and helpful...

Return to posts index

by on Oct 23, 2009 at 8:50:56 pm

[Jason Brown] "...should I use the existing rotation of the layer...or rotate inside the precomp to change the color?"

Do it in the main comp. It's a lot easier to keep track of what's going on. If you do it in the nested comp, you have to make the comp's duration longer in order to slide it back & forth in time in the main comp... ugh.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Oct 24, 2009 at 7:54:01 pm

Hey Dave...the process is simpler, but it's still not working. If I collapse transformations, it cuts to white, then flips...if I leave transformations off...it flips, but never changes color...it's strange.

I'm going to try Eddie's suggestion of the font...

I'll let you know what I find.

-jason

Return to posts index

Eddie YepezRe: flipping hexagons to different color
by on Oct 23, 2009 at 8:33:27 pm

Hi, I think you can use a font with the shape of the hexagon and use the powerfull tools AE have for animating text. I try it and looks pretty good. There is a font with the shape you need at here:

http://www.dafont.com/fnt-basicshapes1.font

Letter (h)

Hope it helps

Cheers from Ecuador!
Eddie

PD: Please excuse my english

Return to posts index

by on Oct 23, 2009 at 8:52:50 pm

Ooooohhh, I like it! That's a LOT simpler! Excellent suggestion!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Oct 23, 2009 at 9:10:45 pm

Thanks Dave, yours was helpfull too.

Eddie

Return to posts index

by on Oct 24, 2009 at 8:10:20 pm

I'm trying to have them flip...Y rotation flips from center, but Z and X flip anchored at the bottom of the text object...I need that center to be in the middle of the hexagon.

Anchor point doesn't seem to change that. They always rotate locked to the bottom of the text box. Is there a way to change this when you enable per character 3D?

-Jason

Return to posts index

by on Oct 24, 2009 at 9:06:58 pm

I got it done...placeholder images...but the effect is done.

One strange thing, the space between the hexagon's changes just before the rotation keyframes starts. (background is alpha seeing through to black color. Check out this animation if you step through it, you can see it...it's not an issue of compression, it happens in my comp window.

http://www.jbtwist.com/CC/preview.mp4

-Jason

Return to posts index

by on Oct 26, 2009 at 2:35:16 am

Hi Jason, you could use a second animator and add the anchor point property, that way is easier to find the middle point. I upload a little test, it aint that great but I hope it helps; here's the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?nfgfwmy1mgw

Cheers,
Eddie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]