ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3D Stroke (Trapcode) matching layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sergei Sokolov3D Stroke (Trapcode) matching layers
by on Oct 23, 2009 at 8:15:31 am

The animation is a line stroke that is rolling out ("end" property from 0% to 100%).
There are several such layers in 3D at a 90 degree angle to each other, so there are transitions from one layer to another, when the line should 'bend' in 3D.
Basically it's just about matching end points of the lines in two sequential layers.

I could not find a way to match these points with Trapcode 3D Stroke plugin, where the 3D rotation is done 'internally' as the plugin is applied to a 3D layer.

Here's a sketch a did so far without the 3D Stroke, usind built-in Stroke effect applied to 3D layers:

(26 seconds video) to get you an idea of what I am trying to achieve.

So the question is: is there a way to 'rotate' 3D Stroke'd path around two different points, matching them exactly to the mask path endpoints? Maybe there's a hope with Nulls and expressions?

Kind regards,
Serge!Sokolov

Return to posts index

cow
Roland R. KahlenbergRe: 3D Stroke (Trapcode) matching layers
by on Oct 23, 2009 at 11:41:28 am

I think you should be fine as long as the last point of a mask matches the first point of the subsequent mask. For the rotation part, set up a 3D Null at the point where the two masks/layers meet. Then parent the two msked layers to the Null and rotate the Null.

Repeat the procedure as required.

HTH
RoRK

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Sergei SokolovRe: 3D Stroke (Trapcode)
by on Oct 23, 2009 at 1:53:46 pm

Roland, this technique is exactly what I did in the linked clip.
BUT ! The question is the "3D Stroke" plugin from Trapcode.
It is applied to a 2D layer. And if you make it a 3D layer and rotate in 3D space, it acts like a flat piece of paper with some 3D scene projected onto it.

So to rotate the stroke in 3D you have to operate the plugin's internal rotation properties.
Which are bound to some arbitrary mid point.

My question is about that point and any ways to match it with path's ends.

Kind regards,
Serge!Sokolov

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: 3D Stroke (Trapcode)
by on Oct 23, 2009 at 2:51:33 pm

It looks like the plugin's Anchor Point is locked to its mid-point. Looks like a feature quest is in order.

My thoughts are that you should try this with Particular; using the mask vertices as position keyframes.

Good Luck
RoRK

Return to posts index

Sergei SokolovParticular does not solve the issue
by on Oct 23, 2009 at 9:57:11 pm

I tryed it with Particular too, but it has exactly the same limitations - you can only rotate the whole thing by its built-in rotation properties bound to some point.

I discovered that in 3D Stroke's case the rotation point depends on:
  • Comp width

• Layer's Anchor point

• Layer's Position

• Mask's rightmost point (for the "center" X)

• So maybe, if I pre-comp each layer with 3DStroke, and at some point move simultaneously say, the Anchor and the layer within the sub-comp - this will move the rotation center, keeping the rest in place?
    Needs further research.

Kind regards,
    Serge!Sokolov

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Particular does not solve the issue
    by on Oct 24, 2009 at 10:10:12 am

3D stroke doesn't use any useable values for the mask vertices. It just works with shapes. But Particular works with actual numbers. Running the thing in my head, I think it's doable with multiple instances of Particular - one instance for each perspective. Using either a light or an Expression linked null to the emitter would be the way to go.

Try a simple experiment going from the letter "W" (with x,y,Z rotation set to zero) to the letter "V" (with rotation values (0,90,0) and see if you can link them using two instances of Particular. You may have to precomp these and nest them and link them in a final comp - also, you will have to switch on their collapse transformations to ensure that the 3D depth os the particles/stroke gets through to the final comp.

I would first try to do it all within a single comp.

Good Luck
    RoRK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]