ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

From 29.97 to 59.94, Motion Is Smoother...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George CostakisFrom 29.97 to 59.94, Motion Is Smoother...
by on Oct 22, 2009 at 5:46:30 pm

Hi All,
So I'm having to finalize a motion graphics piece in 720p 59.94, but it was built in 720p, 29.97. I made a poor assumption that at the end I would be able to change the frame rate to 59.94 and everything would look the same. After rendering, I've noticed that the motion blur is less and that the elements movement is a lot smoother as a result. Is there a way to change the comp to 59.94 and preserve the motion aesthetic from the 29.97 piece? I tried turning up the shutter angle for the motion blur, but it hasn't had desired results. Should I just export as 29.97 and then pull that movie into a 59.94 comp and let it double the frames?
Thanks,
George Costakis

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: From 29.97 to 59.94, Motion Is Smoother...
by on Oct 22, 2009 at 6:08:07 pm

[George Costakis] "Should I just export as 29.97 and then pull that movie into a 59.94 comp and let it double the frames? "

There's one thing you need to do FIRST: in Prefererences, check the "Preserve frame rate of nested items" box.... I'm guessing at the actual wording, but that's what it means.

Then you can render at 59.94, the motion will look like 29.97, and the editor won't have any frame rate problems later. Please note I said "RENDER", as in "Render using the Render Queue". I didn't say "Export".

Oh, and don't forget to uncheck that box in Preferences if it was unchecked prior to all this.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

George CostakisRe: From 29.97 to 59.94, Motion Is Smoother...
by on Oct 22, 2009 at 6:53:30 pm

Thanks Dave,
This seems to be the same method of dropping a 29.97 sequence into a 59.94 sequence in FCP, where it's duplicating every other frame. Good to know I can do this directly from AE and keep my RGB color space intact.

Just a note for others following this. This option is found in the composition settings dialogue box, under the advanced tab. Also, you need to set this for the comp you want preserved, not the destination comp. I got thrown by that the first time I tried it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]