ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Random frame in a movie loop and controlling speed

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Latman
Random frame in a movie loop and controlling speed
on Oct 22, 2009 at 2:40:53 pm

Maybe I'm raking my brain to much but I have a loop that has just letter and numeric characters (0-9,a-z) all in a sequence. I would like to have the play head randomly land on one of the frames and jump around but I would also like to control who often it stays on the frame (the general speed of the whole thing)
I tried wiggle in time remapping but I can not figure out what is going on. I first thought the first digit is freqency and the second was amplitutde, but the speed is still way too fast and at a certain point it just stops jumping around. I'm lost on this one.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Random frame in a movie loop and controlling speed
on Oct 22, 2009 at 4:08:10 pm

it sounds like you are looking for random stills, but would like to control how long you hold on each still frame...?

if so this expression does what you are looking for:

segDur = .5;// duration of each "segment" of random time
minVal = inPoint;
maxVal = outPoint - segDur;

seed = Math.floor(time/segDur);
seedRandom(seed,true);
random(minVal,maxVal);

it is from this page of dan ebbert's motionscript.com (about half way down the page). he has a few other random time remapping expression examples too, along with explanations of how they work. and, if you haven't checked out his site before, it's full of great information on expressions and scripts for ae.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Ken Latman
Re: Random frame in a movie loop and controlling speed
on Oct 22, 2009 at 4:16:44 pm

Thanks Kevin. That will work. Once again the great Dan Ebberts has helped me again! Someone should give him the nobel for AE.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]