ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Upgrading from CS3 to CS4 > stick with 10.5.8 or upgrade to 10.6.1

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian DeViteri
Upgrading from CS3 to CS4 > stick with 10.5.8 or upgrade to 10.6.1
on Oct 22, 2009 at 12:23:57 pm

Have a new project coming in that is forcing a version upgrade of almost all our essential software. We will be upgrading Adobe CS3 to Adobe CS4 on all machines. Also upgrading from Final Cut Studio 2 to Studio 3 during the upgrade.

Should we upgrade the OS at this time as well? Is it even worth the hassle?


Current specs of the two desktops and laptop are:

MacPro 2 x 3ghz quad core intel
8 gb ram (667mhz)
OS X 10.5.8 (just recently updated from 10.5.5 in the past 2 weeks)
CalDigit HDPro (6TB in RAID5)
AJA Kona 3 (control panel ver 6.0.1)
Adobe CS3 Master Collection (After Effects 8.0.2)
Final Cut Studio 2 (Final Cut Pro 6.0.6)
Quicktime ver 7.5.5

MacPro 2 x 3ghz dual core intel
32 gb ram (667mhz)
OS X 10.5.8 (just recently updated from 10.5.5 in the past 2 weeks)
CalDigit HDPro (6TB in RAID5)
AJA Kona 3 (control panel ver 6.0.1)
Adobe CS3 Production Premium (After Effects 8.0.2)
Final Cut Studio 2 (Final Cut Pro 6.0.6)
Quicktime ver 7.5.5

MacBook Pro 2.8 Core 2 Duo
4 gb ram (1067mhz)
OS X 10.5.8
Adobe CS3 Master Collection (After Effects 8.0.2)
Final Cut Studio 2 (Final Cut Pro 6.0.6)
Quicktime ver 7.6.2


We absolutely need to upgrade to Final Cut Studio 3 > Final Cut Pro 7.x due to the projects being FCP7 native files. Unfortunately, they will not open in FCP6. There are also AE files that are CS4 native project files. In order to continue working with them, we need to upgrade to CS4.

The conundrum - do I upgrade the OS to 10.6.1 while doing all of these updates?

I am already cloning the system drives to brand new internal SATA drives. At minimum I will be dual-booting the desktops with CS3 / FCS2 on one drive, and CS4 / FCS3 on another drive (for each machine). Should I stick with 10.5.8 on both?

I still have the 10.5.5 clones and will be retaining them on external drives for a little longer. They are CS3 and FCS2, but those "just work" and don't have issues. OS 10.5.8 seems to be working fine and is quite stable - so I feel comfortable keeping the OS and continuing to use it.

Just have heard horror stories of 10.6.x so far... so I'm a little hesitant.





Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Upgrading from CS3 to CS4 > stick with 10.5.8 or upgrade to 10.6.1
on Oct 22, 2009 at 4:22:25 pm

as a general rule of thumb, i would not upgrade an os to a version that was more recent than the primary software that i was using -- updating, from say 10.5.6 to 10.5.8 is usually ok, but going from osx 10.5 to 10.6 which was released nearly a year after cs4 could create problems.

also cs5 is due in around 6 months, so i wouldn't think abode is spending all their time working out kinks in cs4 with either osx 10.6 or win7.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW


Return to posts index

Brian DeViteri
Re: Upgrading from CS3 to CS4 > stick with 10.5.8 or upgrade to 10.6.1
on Oct 22, 2009 at 4:41:43 pm

Yeah, that's been my experience in the past... and another reason buying the CS3 > CS4 upgrade hurt. I was holding off on doing any of this until April/May 2010, and holding off for a good reason.

I'm currently cloning my system drives to the new drives, then will boot from them and do all of the Adobe CS4 and FCS3 upgrades from there, on the new drives - it seems like a "safer" option, that "should" work more reliably. And if not, I'll boot from the original drives after this project is finished. Figures that this needs to happen just when everything on the machines just felt like they were working "right", you know?





Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]