ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Apply pictures to sides of bars

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zach MeissnerApply pictures to sides of bars
by on Oct 21, 2009 at 11:06:47 pm

I am wondering how i can apply a video clip or picture to only one side of the bar graphs, so as it rotates the image would be mapped to one side and disappear as another appears. See picture below for bars rotated to see what i am talking about.

I'm sure there is some sort of mapping technique, but I'm not sure.

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Apply pictures to sides of bars
by on Oct 22, 2009 at 12:54:55 am

It depends on how you made the bars ... if they're solids arranged in 3D space, you could just precompose the side you want an image on and use it as a tracke matte for the image you want. You could also mask the image to the shape of the bar, then parent it to the bar. I'm sure there are other ways, but those two are the simplest that first come to mind.

Return to posts index

Kim SegelRe: Apply pictures to sides of bars
by on Oct 22, 2009 at 3:11:27 am

One way would be to add a light and a camera, set the light and your footage to "cast shadows only" (onto the bars) set the bars to accepts shadows (but NOT lights) and 'throw' the image onto the bars/solids.

You could have different images falling onto the two surfaces of the bars if you like, too.

Good luck!

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

--Emo Philips

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: Kim: nice.
by on Oct 22, 2009 at 2:05:35 pm

Great suggestion, Kim. Elegantly simple and takes advantage of a basic function of 3D surfaces and lights.

Back when 3D first came to AE, Brian's Total Training package included several projects that took unusual advantage of this interesting feature including motivational shadows created with simple gobos and a simulated RGB video projection system.

Return to posts index

scott novasicRe: Apply pictures to sides of bars
by on Oct 23, 2009 at 7:26:21 am

very clever Kim. I have to recommend doing it is a true 3d app. Its so much simpler and more versatile.
but that does not help you here I guess. A project like this would motivate me to learn the basics of one of the big 3d's. I am ALWAYS weighing effort, quality, versatility of a given look doing it in 3d VS AE and or a combination. As a generalist, thats where I believe a mographers strength lies. The 'melding' of various apps based on the best looking and smartest work flow. (ok im off my soapbox)

good luck, ive seen billboard with that look...

Animation & Visual Effects
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca

Return to posts index

Zach MeissnerRe: Apply pictures to sides of bars
by on Oct 23, 2009 at 1:16:12 pm

Thanks for the great suggestion! I have not had the chance to try out the tips, but i will soon and report back if i find another tips or tricks along the way!

Return to posts index

Zach MeissnerRe: Apply pictures to sides of bars
by on Dec 17, 2009 at 8:35:16 pm

Hi Kim, sorry for getting back to this post late, but what exactly do you mean by "throw the images" onto the bars?

I want to have a single image that spans across all panels, and when you rotate another image comes together, so it's as if a billboard turning around to form that new image.

I've tried your suggestion, which I think is very good, I just can't quite get it to work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved