ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

PFHoe to AE wrong frame rate

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Bullock
PFHoe to AE wrong frame rate
on Oct 21, 2009 at 7:02:38 pm

I just tracked a scene using PFHoe. It is at 23.98 fps. When I import the Maya file into AE, the frame rate changes to 30 fps. What is going on? Can anybody help?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: PFHoe to AE wrong frame rate
on Oct 21, 2009 at 9:44:44 pm

Would this happen to be an image sequence? AE gives image sequences a default frame rate of 30, but you can change that. Go File>Interpret>Main and change the frame rate.....

......ah, but what do you change the frame rate TO?

23.98? I think not. 99 times out of a hundred, 23.98 is just a nickname for a film frame rate in NTSC-Land. You see it used in editing applications, cameras... perhaps even Maya.

The correct frame rate to use is 23.976. DO NOT use 23.98. Use 23.976. Use the footage in a 23.976 comp.

After Effects, unlike so many other applications and hardware, actually calls a spade a spade. If you fall for the 23.98 lie used by others, you will have frame rate issues down the road.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jason Bullock
on Oct 22, 2009 at 12:31:51 am

The problem is not the footage. When I import the Maya file into After Effects, it creates a comp that is 30 fps. I was wondering is there a way to fix this problem.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 22, 2009 at 11:47:56 am

Changing frame rate for a footage item or a composition is described here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Jason Bullock
on Oct 22, 2009 at 2:03:14 pm

Tried that. The keyframes from the camera of the track do not line up with the original footage still.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 22, 2009 at 3:08:44 pm

[Jason Bullock] "When I import the Maya file into After Effects, it creates a comp that is 30 fps."

This means that the file imported from Maya is somehow tagged with a frame rate of 30 fps. I would double-check frame rate settings in Maya.

I'm not a 3D application guy, but I recall our 3D animator showing me that frame rate selections show up in a couple of obscure places in Maya.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]