ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

"The X Factor" Titles using Boris Extruded 3d Text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Miles Young"The X Factor" Titles using Boris Extruded 3d Text
by on Oct 20, 2009 at 3:22:40 pm

For a non-commercial project I'm working on I'm trying to (unashamedly) copy the look of the UK TV show "The X Factor". Specifically I mean the e.g. "Last week...", "It's time", "To Face", "The Music" title sequence from the impossibly OTT but fabulous start to each show.

My only resource for this is Boris Extruded 3D text and despite trying out the "Chrome" and "Brushed Metal" presets, I still find it looking rather flat/dull/without the texture seen on the sides of the letters (which seem to have a moving reflection on the real show). I'm trying to get more shininess/reflection but so far without much success.

This YouTube clip from the most recent show has the text I mean (Sorry for those who hate such reality shows) ;-) It has the following examples within the first 1.5 minutes: "Last Weekend", "Tonight", "Girls", "Boys", "Over 25s" and "Groups"

I'd be most grateful for any hints on how to achieve this. This is my first venture using 3d text in After Effects.

P.S. Anyone on here who works in the team for Syco Productions who created this is welcome to privately send me their secrets.. ;-)

Return to posts index

patrick McIntyreRe: "The X Factor" Titles using Boris Extruded 3d Text
by on May 8, 2010 at 3:11:13 pm

Hi Miles, I am currently tring to create similar titles to those on xfactor and i was wondering if you ever made any progress with your endevours to make them. I am trying to do exactly what you were, with the "next time" and "last week" etc. I would be very greatful if you could help me do this.

Patrick McIntyre

mrptmcintyre at

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved