ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

S-l-o-w RAM Previews

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff HinkleS-l-o-w RAM Previews
by on Oct 19, 2009 at 6:24:12 pm

Hopefully someone wiser than me has a possible solution to this problem. We have an Intel Power Mac, Dual 2.8GHz Quad Core, 10 GB RAM, OSX 10.5.8. Running After Effects CS4 and it simply cannot play back any RAM preview in real time. Even a simple one-second 720x480 29.97fps comp of a square solid moving around the corners nets a playback of about 8 fps, even at 50% size and half resolution. I've tried restarting, rebooting, trashing the prefs. Playback is set to Computer Monitor Only, Adaptive Resolution is set to 1/4. AE is recognizing 8 cores, 10GB of RAM installed and appears to be taking the 3.0GB max.

A co-worker just told me that they've never had a realtime RAM preview on this machine, so it's apparently not a new development. Anyone have any suggestions for a solution? I'm willing to consider anything up to and including voodoo at this point.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: S-l-o-w RAM Previews
by on Oct 19, 2009 at 6:47:56 pm

Fist things first: you ARE doing RAM Previews the proper way, which is hitting the zero on the numeric keypad and NOT the space bar, right?

[Jeff Hinkle] "We have an Intel Power Mac, Dual 2.8GHz Quad Core, 10 GB RAM, OSX 10.5.8. AE is recognizing 8 cores, 10GB of RAM installed and appears to be taking the 3.0GB max."

Now, a little arithmetic -- 8 Cores X 3 GB/Core = 24 GB.
You have 10 GB... which is not all that much, as the arithmetic reveals.

With that amount of RAM, I'd set AE so it uses only 4 cores, and each core to uses 2 GB . Then AE wouldn't be forced to cache the previews to disc, you'd be less likely to be forced to quit any other open applications, and you can run other nice things like the operating system.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeff HinkleRe: S-l-o-w RAM Previews
by on Oct 19, 2009 at 7:08:29 pm

Yup. Zero on the numeric keypad. Shift-zero to get every-other-frame RAM previews, which doesn't help a bit.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: S-l-o-w RAM Previews
by on Oct 19, 2009 at 7:10:35 pm

Changing the AE settings so it isn't trying to use RAM it doesn't have will help quite a lot.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ryan McAfeeRe: S-l-o-w RAM Previews
by on Oct 19, 2009 at 7:40:39 pm

Just throwing this out there. Are you running any other programs while AE is open. I know I have trouble when I run Illustrator or anything really.

When anything is competing with AE, AE seems to get a lil buggy.

Ryan McAfee
Moon Community Access Television
http://www.MCA-TV.com

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: S-l-o-w RAM Previews
by on Oct 19, 2009 at 9:31:56 pm

it turns out it was an aja plugin that seemed to be interfering with both ram previews and processing/performance (despite video preview being set to computer only).

once the aja plugins were uninstalled it worked fine (of course all kinds of other things were done in the process of figuring that out, so it could have been a combination of changing slot assignments, updating software, drivers and removing those plugins).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: S-l-o-w RAM Previews
by on Oct 23, 2009 at 5:56:05 pm

The AJA issue is becoming common. I had a friend deal with it on his Mac and at work we had an issue on both of our CS4 AJA Windows Vista machines.

Removal of the AJA for AE fixed the problem on all of the systems. AJA's put out some updates since we had the issue, so maybe that'll fix it...

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]