ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

16-bit Super Nintendo Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Bonano
16-bit Super Nintendo Effect
on Oct 19, 2009 at 5:58:01 pm

Here is what we are doing...

In front of a green screen we are taking still images of actors posing so that we can animate a character as if he's a character in a video game similar to the classic 16-bit Super Nintendo.

the only thing I'm trying to figure out is the best way to make the images seem pixelated like a 16-bit game console without loosing too much of the image to where you don't recognize the character. What would be your favorite tool in AE that could create this 16-bit video game effect?

BTW, I've thought about (but haven't tried yet since I just thought it up and am not at my AE computer) adding a basic cartoon effect first then pixelating it. I think it might make for a more realistic video game look. What do you think?

Jeff Bonano
http://www.bonanoproductions.com

"I want to have a cool quote at the bottom of my signature, just like everyone else on the cow forum!" -Jeff Bonano

Return to posts index

Terry Hahin
Re: 16-bit Super Nintendo Effect
on Oct 19, 2009 at 6:54:22 pm

Hi Jeff,
my reccomendation would be to key the people, then use the Mosaic effect to get the pixelation.

Then maybe tweak to taste with the types of colors you want coming out of the pixels. Hope that helps.

Terry Hahin

Designer and Editor
terryhahin.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 19, 2009 at 7:20:41 pm

[Jeff Bonano] "In front of a green screen we are taking still images of actors posing so that we can animate a character as if he's a character in a video game similar to the classic 16-bit Super Nintendo. "

Glad to hear they're poses.

Now bear this in mind, too: Mario, Luigi and Princess Mushroom (or whatever her name was) were all highly caricitured: the guys had big noses & thick moustaches, and the girl had lots of hair. No one had a lot of detail.

Thus, to have the luxury of being able to throw away detail yet keep the character recognizable, you'll probably have to shoot your subjects a lit tighter than you may have originally anticipated.

...and in the end, you may still wind up just using your actors as models for a Photoshop artist who will actually create the 16 basic poses (or whatever the number was) or an SNES character.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Oct 19, 2009 at 8:22:49 pm

"no one had a lot of detail."
You could play with the channel-arithmetic- block below effect that compresses colors to basic 8 bit colors, etc.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 19, 2009 at 8:30:00 pm

[Chris Wright] "You could play with the channel-arithmetic- block below effect that compresses colors to basic 8 bit colors, etc. "

Yeah, as long as it doesn't block slightly necessary things like eyes, mouths, etc.

I have a nasty suspicion that if the actual goal is to replicate the look of a Super Nintendo -- limited poses, horizontal-only movement, 3-frame walk cycles, etc. -- this project will ultimately find its way into Photoshop. I don't think AE can cut it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeff Bonano
on Oct 20, 2009 at 12:09:32 am

Thanks for all of your input! Sounds like this is going to be a fun challenge! If it turns out, I'll be sure to post it for people to see :)

Jeff Bonano

"I want to have a cool quote at the bottom of my signature, just like everyone else on the cow forum!" -Jeff Bonano

Return to posts index

Tony Silva
on Oct 20, 2009 at 4:35:28 pm

I would also try to shoot them with no shadows at all. And bright contrasting colors.

Return to posts index

Tim Stonesifer
on Oct 20, 2009 at 6:13:27 pm

Haha! I just did this myself a few months back for one of our shows. I actually created a whole super mario environment for a blue-screened character to move about in. Fun project. :-)

Anyway, check out the BCC Mosaic effect. It's got a lot of extra features in addition to the regular Mosaic. The key feature is the "Apply Mode" setting. I found this really helpful - Depending on your setting for this, it'll give you the blocky look, but still add some level of detail within the mosaic. Without this, I imagine duplicating your layer and changing modes and transparency would yield similar results. Good luck, and have fun!

Return to posts index

Jeff Bonano
on Oct 21, 2009 at 11:10:31 am

Cool! that just might work for me too! The project starts this weekend so I'm even more excited than before and can't wait to get started. Thanks for all your advice!

Jeff Bonano

Return to posts index

Jeff Bonano
on Oct 26, 2009 at 11:39:25 am

Well after our first test run, Here is what we came up with for a quick bit. The character is more detailed than a 8-bit character, but it still seems to fly. Our next step is to add the character with more moves, add player 2 (I'll probably play a Mario style character because of my belly), and a more familiar game setting.

Kudos goes out to my good friend Sam Koepnick for allowing me to shoot him with a digitizer gun and trap him into this intense video game world!

Jeff Bonano

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]