ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Bass Thumping

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
galen carter
Bass Thumping
on Oct 19, 2009 at 3:44:03 pm

What's a quick way of generating a bass thumping effect? It doesn't need to be aligned with any audio, and the only tutorials I found were complicated ones that use expressions based on an audio file.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Bass Thumping
on Oct 19, 2009 at 4:02:33 pm

That's much to go on. What do you intend the viewer to see? Don't spare the details.

If you don't want to use expressions, you MIGHT be able to get by with the Convert Audio To Keyframes command... or if you have Trapcode plugins, there's always Soundkeys.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

galen carter
on Oct 19, 2009 at 5:59:04 pm

Sorry I should have been more clear. I tries searching youtube for a sample of what I am talking about. I guess let me try to describe the shot.

The shot is just a simple dolly forward towards a large speaker. I want to make is so that it looks like the entire shot is shaking as if the shot was the bass. My first thought was to just use the wiggler, but that didnt work at all.

I'll continue searching for an example. I know I have seen it a lot in music videos.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Oct 19, 2009 at 11:16:44 pm

I did something VERY similar to what you are talking about...although I did have an audio to sync to.

Here were my steps:

Take audio into soundbooth and EQ out EVERY other sound except for the beat.

Bring that track into AE and convert audio to keyframes

Expression link (correct terminology?) the scale of the video layer to the beat (you'll need to divide it by some percentage so that it only scales the desired percentage)

I linked an adjustment layer which was blurring my video with a vignette type mask (oval) to the same beat keyframes, so that when it scaled...it blurred slightly in a vignette fashion...it was replicating motion blur IMO.

That is how I accomplished what you are trying to do...

-Jason

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Oct 20, 2009 at 7:37:44 pm

i'm sure you've finished this by now, but i had some time today to play with this, and this is what i came up with:

d = .3; //duration of shake in seconds
p = 1; //period of beat cycle (in secs) if not using layer markers
f = 30; //shake frequency
a = 5; //shake max amount

n=0;
if (marker.numKeys > 0){
n = marker.nearestKey(time).index;
if (marker.key(n).time > time){
n--;
}
}

if (n==0){
w = easeOut(time%p, d, 0, a, 0);
wiggle(f, w);
}else{
w = easeOut(time-marker.key(n).time, d, 0, a, 0);
wiggle(f, w);
}

it will work by setting a period value (p), like once a second, or by using layer markers to tell it precisely when to 'bump'.

it was designed to work on the position or anchorpoint property, but would work on any property, rotation, opacity or scale -- although for scale, if you wanted the scale property to be proportional you'd need to change:

wiggle(f,w)

to

[wiggle(f, w)[0],wiggle(f,w)[0]]

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

galen carter
on Oct 20, 2009 at 7:50:41 pm

Awesome! I'm going to test this out.

I actually finished late yesterday after being linked to this guys tutorial. He walks through what he did for a boxing promo. Really cool stuff

http://www.motionworks.com.au/

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Oct 21, 2009 at 2:39:42 pm

Genius Kevin, simply genius...looks amazing. I think I'm going to make up a project to use it! :)

It's people like you that make the Cow great!

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Oct 21, 2009 at 5:32:31 pm

if you are applying it to just the position property, it can work just a bit better if you use it on the center property of the motion tile effect instead, then you can set motion tile to mirror edges.

this (with motion blur) should do a fairly good of hiding the edges as the frame shakes... assuming the video shot doesn't have blanking or other black edges.

of course, you can always add motion tile (or cc repetile) and manually adjust the expansion properties to fill the comp frame.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Oct 21, 2009 at 5:35:58 pm

Good call...I was playing with a couple things - overscaling by a small percentage or duplicate the layer, gaussian blur it, then blur feather the edges of the foreground layer...both looked decent.

-Jason

Return to posts index

Tj Tyler
on Dec 1, 2012 at 8:41:44 pm

In This video I believe the effect your talking about is at :58

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Oct 19, 2009 at 5:34:20 pm

if you are looking for a quick digital audio meter, then a quick way would be to create a small solid (2px by 5px or so). double click the rectangular mask too, zoom in and set the mask to reveal just one horizontal pixel of that solid.

scale that layer up to around 500% and add the cc repetile effect. then animate the expand up property to create the fake bass beats to your liking. pretty quick and dirty...

tip: if you create a 3 keyframe beat animation, you can add an expression to the expansion property and type 'loopOut()' to repeat the beat keyframes.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]