ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Pixellate scaled computer stills

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam ButcherPixellate scaled computer stills
by on Oct 17, 2009 at 11:21:03 pm

Hi there,

I'm doing an After Effects project that involves a lot of stills (basically "print screen"s) from a PC operating system.

I'm trying to find a way of keeping the crisp pixels of my original stills when I "zoom in" to them. My instinct is to just increase the size of the still until it's as big as I need, but the interpolation on AE is automatic and always blurs the pixels together. I've tried using the Mosaic effect, both straight and with embedded compositions, but neither seems to work.

Can anyone help me? It seems so simple!

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: Pixellate scaled computer stills
by on Oct 18, 2009 at 12:21:39 am

Just set the quality for the layer to the draft setting (the jagged backslash symbol) and AE will not interpolate the pixels.

Return to posts index

scott novasicRe: Pixellate scaled computer stills
by on Oct 18, 2009 at 5:24:56 am

Hi Adam, if you are trying to enlarge something bigger than is normal sometimes you will need a filter like median, which takes a blurred image, and holds the edges pretty well and if you get extreme in size, can look almost toon like. The median filter is good to help.

Animation & Visual Effects
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca

Return to posts index

Adam ButcherRe: Pixellate scaled computer stills
by on Oct 18, 2009 at 9:54:52 am

Thanks for your help guys!

Putting the layer on the Draft setting was exactly what I needed to do. I'd actually tried it before, but my mistake was that I'd scaled the layer at 135% or something. A note to others: pixel art (fairly obviously) only works enlarged at 100% 200% 800% etc.

My thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved