ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rendering to FLV, huge file sizes, any tips on this?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick DaneRendering to FLV, huge file sizes, any tips on this?
by on Oct 17, 2009 at 5:34:28 am

I'm using the FLV format to play animations within websites, but these aren't "flash" animations as they are mixed video with 3D rendered animations and things like that (so I can't just make this in flash, rather the flv and then swf is just the format I'm using to play the end files on the website)... when rendering from after effects as .FLV the file sizes come out as being quite large (when I put the bitrate up to where it needs to be to get the quality I want)... I am wondering if anyone knows of a workflow to get something from after effects to an .FLV format (using some series of conversions and other software) at a more reasonable size (like somewhat close to what an .mp4 would be.. or do you know of a way to get an .mp4 to have an alpha channel (as I think I can use that instead my modifying a web player).. thanks for any help on this, I've tried things with the adobe media encoder but can't get it right.

Return to posts index

Jamie WoodRe: Rendering to FLV, huge file sizes, any tips on this?
by on Oct 17, 2009 at 6:54:13 pm

Personally I always render to a mov and then convert to flv using the flash video encoder or the media encoder. There is always a toss up between getting the quality you want without the file ending up really heavy. Large dimensions + alpha channel are always going to push up the size.
Could you split the animations into separate parts or is it all for one part of the site? The flash tech I work with has uses some intelligent preloading code that he's written that caches assets whilst you are watching or browsing others.

Hope thats of some help.

Return to posts index

Rick DaneRe: Rendering to FLV, huge file sizes, any tips on this?
by on Oct 17, 2009 at 7:04:19 pm

Just figured I'd post this in case someone comes across this later... it seems that the ideal application for converting to the flv format (or even swf directly as it supports that too) is the http://www.on2.com/index.php?312 on2 encoder... I'm getting some amazingly small files from an original avi rendering so I think this is the way to go instead of going directly to FLV in after effects.

Return to posts index

Rick DaneRe: Rendering to FLV, huge file sizes, any tips on this?
by on Oct 17, 2009 at 7:19:28 pm

Jamie, I've done some things with using the preloading code for javascript projects, for now these are just sort of video demos but I want them to play within the web browser so it looks like the web page and not a video window, anyways, thanks for your input I will try that with the mov format too although for some reason I'm not seeing that as an encoding option in after effects.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]