ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Shatter effect doesn't extrude right.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wouter Bruneel
Shatter effect doesn't extrude right.
on Oct 17, 2009 at 2:52:01 am

Hey,

So i'm extruding a logo with the scatter effect. I want it to remain extruded for a couple of seconds after which i blow it to pieces. The blowing to pieces part is easy enough but even though my shards have sides my extruded logo before the explosion has a back but not the correct sides. There are sides but they have the dimensions of the logo file as if all the pixels are opaque.
http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/5856/examplef.jpg

Any ideas how to fix this?

W

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
Re: Shatter effect doesn't extrude right.
on Oct 18, 2009 at 12:53:05 am

I didn't quite understand the last part of your description and the link to the image seems to be broken. Could you give more details and/or try to post the link to the image again?

-E

Return to posts index

Wouter Bruneel
on Oct 18, 2009 at 4:29:49 pm

Hey,

thanks for the reply. I solved my problem last night though. I didn't use a custom shatter layer. Having used a custom shatter layer with the same alpha channel as my logo, my problem was solved. This did mean that i couldn't use the glass shatter preset, so i had to create a shatter matte which i did with turbulent noise and colorama.

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Oct 18, 2009 at 5:05:16 pm

Glad to hear you got it working. I finally did see the image you posted, I just copied the url into the browser instead of clicking the link - duh.

Yeah, the shatter effect is a little tricky sometimes. I'd be curious to see what the shatter map you used looks like since I've had very little success using custom maps with this effect myself.

-E

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Oct 18, 2009 at 9:50:36 pm

[Erik Waluska] "I've had very little success using custom maps with this effect "

It's all about Colorama or Threshold to control the number of colors in your map. I'm pretty sure the Adobe Support Center (Todd Kopriva often sends cows to the site) has an extensive write up on custom shatter maps.

Shatter is one of the cooler and more remarkably flexible particle systems every created for After Effects.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Wouter Bruneel
on Oct 21, 2009 at 2:00:54 am

Hey,

This is what my shattermasks emds up looking like. Its basically turbulent noise, rocky and blocked and the standard colorama effect (no interpolation of the hues.
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6428/logoshattermask.png

W

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Oct 21, 2009 at 3:15:46 pm

Thanks, guys. For some reason I've just avoided this effect in the past (could be the cheesy used car dealer commercials that always use it that scared me away) but I guess it's time to give it a go and see what it can do.

Thanks for posting the shatter map, that will give me a good idea of what it's supposed to look like. I'm going to go blow stuff up now...

-E

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]