ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Smoothing Camera POI in Graph Editor

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex PowellSmoothing Camera POI in Graph Editor
by on Oct 17, 2009 at 12:38:55 am

I'm in the process of tweaking an animation that has an animated Point of Interest, however I want to be able to open up graph editor and have some fine control over the movement, just so I can smooth the whole thing...

I don't really want to Auto-Orient the camera, as having a separate POI is a big part of the animation

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: Smoothing Camera POI in Graph Editor
by on Oct 18, 2009 at 12:46:55 am

If you turn off auto-orientation you lose the point of interest property, which makes sense if you think about it since all auto-orient is doing is pointing the camera at stuff automatically based on the position value you enter. So if you turn off auto-orient, then you just have to manually point the camera at whatever you want it to look at by using the rotation properties of the camera.

A good technique is to parent the camera to a null and use the null to control the camera position, then animate the rotation of the camera to control what it is looking at. The null just gives you an extra level of control because you can animate the null and then additionally animate the camera's position in relation to the null so you can do cool things like rotate around an object in a spiral while keeping the camera pointed toward the center of the spiral and so on...

There are lots of tutorials on the Cow and other places like VideoCopilot on this subject.

Of course, you can just animate the camera's position and orientation or rotation. It just depends on what you need to accomplish.

As far as the graph editor goes, any of the above mentioned properties can be tweaked in the graph editor.

If I missed your point then please elaborate.

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved