ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Converting real life camera to After Effect camera settings.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jamie Bradshaw
Converting real life camera to After Effect camera settings.
on Oct 16, 2009 at 9:59:12 am

Hi all.

I'm afraid when it comes to real camera and lens specs I'm a bit clueless really.

What I want is to be able to know what settings to change on an After Effects camera for it to mimic a real life camera.

For example, here is a spec link to a digital camera that I am testing with:

http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/cameras/digital_camera/power...

I'm guessing that from the the focal length (6mm-60mm) and f/number (f2.8 - f4.3) I should be able to change the camera settings in After Effects so that I can mimic the Canon camera.

Can anyone shed any light on how I go about doing this?

Thanks,
Jamie

JimJam•Graphics
http://www.jimjamgraphics.com/

Return to posts index

Will Cavanagh
Re: Converting real life camera to After Effect camera settings.
on Oct 16, 2009 at 2:29:27 pm

I believe it's actually a bit more complicated than this. The sensor size plays an important role in matching DOF between the cameras, and the sensor size of you camera is much smaller than the default size for the AE camera (36mm). Your camera has a 1/2.3" sensor. That means it's 11.04mm. There's also a question of how this is measured -- I believe CCDs are usually measured diagonally while film is measured horizontally. I may well be wrong here. Then you'll also need to figure out the angle of view and zoom for the focal length of the lens you were shooting with. There may be an easy way to do this, but I don't know much about it.

I hope this helps get you on the right track, sorry I can't give you more (or better) info.

getnmd.com
nationalboston.com

Return to posts index

Jamie Bradshaw
on Oct 16, 2009 at 3:37:09 pm

Thanks for your reply Will.

I'm trying to get my head round it all (without much success).

I was under the impression that under the Camera Settings in After Effects I could replicate pretty much any Camera by changing the Film Size and Focal Length. Is that not the case? It also looks like I can tell the Film Size be measured horizontally, vertically or diagonally.

In other words, if I can find out the Film Size and Focal Length in any digital camera then I can replicate it in After Effects. Or am I just being a bit stupid.

Oh and I don't really need to replicate a DOF as I'm not planning on having any focal blur in what I'm doing.

Thanks,
Jamie

JimJam•Graphics
http://www.jimjamgraphics.com/

Return to posts index

Will Cavanagh
on Oct 16, 2009 at 3:49:33 pm

Yes -- it is possible to replicate a camera if you have the relevant information about it. You may have to do some math though, and I don't know any specifics about that. I also don't know which parameters affect lens distortion. It's possible that certain parameters won't affect image distortion at all, and will thus be unnecessary if you don't intend to use the camera to render DOF.

I hope someone will be able to provide more details, but if not you should try asking this of the nerds over at DVXuser and maybe just doing some Googling and Wikipedia-ing.

getnmd.com
nationalboston.com

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 16, 2009 at 4:34:39 pm

See this article:
http://www.adobepress.com/articles/article.asp?p=1273350
(Don't let the version number scare you; this article is just as relevant to current versions of After Effects.)

I found this using the After Effects Community Help search.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Oct 16, 2009 at 6:00:13 pm

Out-freaking-STANDING!

Thank you, Todd, great reference material! Confirms much, reaffirms much, clears up myths, satisfies curiosity, defines terms.

I've got that one bookmarked.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Oct 16, 2009 at 6:02:13 pm

Acknowledging the article was expertly crafted by Mark Christiansen in language most AE users can comprehend and that photographers will immediately relate to .

bogiesan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]