ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Very long render times perplexing me..

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick DaneVery long render times perplexing me..
by on Oct 16, 2009 at 5:00:22 am

I'm new to after effects / compositing and this is perplexing me. I have a few different short animated clips that I rendered in a 3D program and I have layered them together into one composite that is about 15 seconds long. I have done nothing else to them, no effects, no masks, nothing and I am now rendering it out with the best quality settings using the video for windows (with helix something encoder, I believe) and it is scheduled to take over an hour to render this tiny clip when all I want to do is simply layer them on top of each other.. I am not quite understanding this and am hoping to get suggestions from anyone if I am doing something wrong or maybe after effects isn't the program to use for simple layering? (I still use it for the effects too sometimes), I don't get how it can take longer to do a simple layering in after effects than it took to actually do the renderings in the 3D program... I would appreciate if anyone can help point me in the right direction on this.

Return to posts index

Rick DaneRe: Very long render times perplexing me..
by on Oct 16, 2009 at 5:03:04 am

Edit: actually I think that the one I was doing was a video clip about 1 minute long and for this it was looping (from interpret footage) clips that were about 10 seconds long>

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Very long render times perplexing me..
by on Oct 16, 2009 at 4:20:29 pm

If you're ever wondering what's taking so long when an item is being rendered and exported, check out the details under the Current Render heading in the Render Queue panel. (For more information, see this page.)

Perhaps it's the encoding/compression that's taking a long time, not the rendering itself. Or maybe it's taking a long time for the completed frames to be written to disk because your source footage is being read from the same disk. There are a lot of possible causes for things to be slowed down other than slow rendering per se.

There are a lot of tips for improving performance here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Rick DaneRe: Very long render times perplexing me..
by on Oct 16, 2009 at 7:33:30 pm

Ohhhhhh... yeah the same disk thing is what I think is doing it :).. thanks, I will install my other hard drive as that should fix it

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Very long render times perplexing me..
by on Oct 16, 2009 at 7:55:54 pm

The nature of the video clips imported into AE can also cause long render times. Generally, the less compressed the footage is, the faster AE can deal with it. And some types of footage just won't work in AE:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark HollisRe: Very long render times perplexing me..
by on Oct 16, 2009 at 8:07:32 pm

Then there is the 10-hour render I am doing presently.

It's a built-up 3D image of a state, with lights and movement. Things like that ought to take ten hours. I think there are over 60 layers of the state to build up a 3-dimensional extruded look (even though, if you turn the object to 90 degrees, you see the planes).

Be nice if AE extruded.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Very long render times perplexing me..
by on Oct 16, 2009 at 9:55:49 pm

[Mark Hollis] "Be nice if AE extruded."

Agreed. But if you have the dough, Zaxwerks' 3D Invigorator will do extrusions.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]