ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Turning masks into independent layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lorenzo Escalante
Turning masks into independent layers
on Oct 16, 2009 at 4:20:17 am

Hello Hello

I was wondering if any one could help like you all have time and time before.

I have just recently acquired a logo for my business and am trying to create a motion graphics segment to add some signature to all of my videos.

It is a 4 piece logo and when I auto trace it in AE, it recognizes it as such.
I want to have all 4 pieces come in from different directions at different times.
Is there a way to make the masks that are a product of the auto trace into independent layers so That i can play with them individually.

And also, I have just started directing music videos and would like to ask you.

what is the best way to add motion graphics to HDV video with out making it look cheap and out of place. What I have been doing is color keying .mov files, but it just doesnt look right. Thank you in advance. i look forward to hearing from you.

Return to posts index

Rick Dane
Re: Turning masks into independent layers
on Oct 16, 2009 at 5:53:34 am

Well, I'm still new to after effects so someone else can probably give a better answer... but couldn't you just copy / duplicate your one layer that has all the masks multiple times and then just use one of the masks on one layer each?

About the adding motion graphics, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this (is it 3D animation you're adding in or something else)? If its 3D I can give you some good pointers on where to start but otherwise I am not sure... if you are concerned with the camera movements matching the motion graphics you are inserting, I believe that would be a "rotoscoping" issue

Return to posts index

Bob Root
on Oct 16, 2009 at 12:11:15 pm

Check out videocopilot.net.

The project file for Tutorial 86-Fracture Design comes with a script you can use to separate masks into layers.

You might want to check out the tutorial as well. The use of the script is covered about 7 minutes in.

Bob

Return to posts index

Lorenzo Escalante
on Oct 16, 2009 at 7:17:42 pm

thank you. I love this website.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 16, 2009 at 7:50:28 pm

[Lorenzo Escalante] "..what is the best way to add motion graphics to HDV video with out making it look cheap and out of place. What I have been doing is color keying .mov files, but it just doesnt look right..."

I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but chroma-keying on HDV doesn't work well, for the same reason that chroma-keying on DV doesn't work well: poor color resolution. However, Keylight, included with AE, is a good chroma keyer.

So what is color resolution? Watch this podcast:

http://macbreak.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=70596

When you're done, keep in mind that HDV's color resolution is just as miserable as DV color resolution. The 4-2-2 color resolution of something like a Panasonic HVX 200 gives you a pretty good key... but HDV? No.

There's also the problems that AE has with HDV footage:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]