ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

What's the best program for keying?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt BenepeWhat's the best program for keying?
by on Oct 15, 2009 at 8:36:53 pm

I've been looking around for information on this, and wanted some more input. What's the best program or plugin for keying blue/green screen? I've got AF right now with Keylight, and I know it's one of the better ones out there, but wanted to check anyway. I'm especially focused on the art of trying to keep hair detail since a lot of the people that we shoot tend to have long, or scruffy hair.

I've heard a lot of other programs being thrown around as well outside of Keylight, but wasn't sure if any dealt with the hair better than others. I hadn't really seen anything definitive on the net either so I thought i'd ask you guys.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: What's the best program for keying?
by on Oct 15, 2009 at 9:21:58 pm

[Matt Benepe] "...I'm especially focused on the art of trying to keep hair detail since a lot of the people that we shoot tend to have long, or scruffy hair...."

Keylight can do the job. But I bet it's something else you haven't even considered.

You should know that all CAMERAS are not created equal. If you're attempting to do chroma key work with footage from an HDV camera, you're just hosing yourself by throwing away color resolution.

I recommend watching the link below. It describes what's what with color resolution. It could be the best 15 minutes you spend this week... professionally, that is. When you're done, keep in mind that HDV color resolution is just as miserable as DV color resolution.

http://macbreak.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=70596

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matt BenepeRe: What's the best program for keying?
by on Oct 15, 2009 at 10:14:24 pm

yeah, i'll check that out. My background is in editing, but I'm trying to get AF motion graphics under my belt now as well so this will help.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Devinda FernandoRe: What's the best program for keying?
by on Jun 7, 2014 at 11:19:11 am

Hi Dave, you seem to be the defacto Guru for chroma keying here so I was wondering what sort of tips would you recommend for properly setting up the lighting and camera settings during the shoot to avoid the sort of nightmares in post production work that seem to be discussed here. I usually shoot with a 5D MKIII or a Sony FS700.

My biggest issues when using Ultra Key in Premiere Pro (or Primatte Keyer in AE) is the Green Spill on the subjects hair and side of the face... or even the reflection on objects like shirt buttons and glasses and even in the subjects' eyes themselves. Any solutions to reducing this prior to shooting? Type of lighting, or perhaps color of the chroma key background?

Also... during green screen shoots with a lot of movement - like Music videos, there is a lot of green spill onto the motion blur of fast moving body parts (Fingers are my biggest headache). I was told that if I shot in Slo-motion and then subtracted the additional frames returning the footage back to regular speed that the motion blur can be reduced/eliminated (I have yet to try this technique) - any truth to that, or is there a better solution?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

chris brettRe: What's the best program for keying?
by on Jul 23, 2015 at 7:15:58 am

Hi Dave

----- interesting reply --- link now not working - is this info still around please?

Regards

Chris Brett / England

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: What's the best program for keying?
by on Oct 16, 2009 at 1:33:36 am

The are links to some good keying resources here. As Dave says, very much of the success (or failure) in keying comes before you do anything in post-production software.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]