ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Zombieland title intro

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Duranko
Zombieland title intro
on Oct 15, 2009 at 7:17:30 pm

Just wanted to see if anyone knew who created the title intro for the recent film "Zombieland." The floating 3-D text in live action video, that reacts with its surroundings(the physics were amazing). A similar effect can be seen in a car commercial too, where the text looks like floating balloons. I've been playing around with different ways to create this effect strictly in AE, but I'm sure 3-D text is the way to go.
Just wanted to hear your thoughts about how you think it was created.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Zombieland title intro
on Oct 15, 2009 at 8:02:31 pm

within ae, you might start with the shatter effect.

create you text layer (white text) and add the shatter effect, set the shape pattern to custom an choose that same text layer as the shatter map. if you wanted to colorize the text, you could just throw the fill effect above the shatter effect, or add the shatter effect to another layer, but use that text layer as the shatter map.

you should be able to create similar movemnt with the shatter effect, but the draw back of shatter is that it custom shatter maps look a bit ragged, so you'll need a work around for that (like split layer and force motion blur on an adjustment layer)

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Oct 15, 2009 at 8:18:12 pm

i was just playing around with it (i hadn't used shatter for awhile). you can also add the color in the texture settings -- i had remembered a way to set a texture, but i had thought it was only for the edges... i guess it has been too long....

but it should work fairly well, you just need to adjust the timings of the force(s) to match with the footage and deal with the ratty edges...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Chris Duranko
on Oct 16, 2009 at 3:58:52 am

Yeah that's how i went about making the 3-D text. It looks pretty good, I just wish i could use multiple lights instead of just one (first comp light)
I was more interested in the motion of the text, the floating feel.
I made the text into separate letters in a precomp and effected them separately which is probably the best way but you can totally tell that it is hand done.

Thanks for the quick response.

CIS Vancouver created the graphics by the way. I found it.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Oct 16, 2009 at 5:29:20 pm

i don't have an easy way of fixing the multiple light issue, but the easy way to slow the movement down is to just add time stretch (layer>time>time stretch, try 500% for starters)....

if shatter was just on a single layer adding time stretch to that layer would work, if you have each letter separated, the easiest way would be to drop that comp into another comp and apply time stretch to the nested shatter comp.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Chris Duranko
on Oct 19, 2009 at 12:46:58 pm

Kevin
Thanks for the help. It really seems to be just a madder of working out the animation now.

Rick
I think you are talking about the earth rotating with the amusement park? That was a really cool too but I was talking about the title intro. The credits were floating 3-D text and when the something in the footage collided with it, it broke apart.

Very slick work for a great movie.

Return to posts index

Rick Dane
on Oct 17, 2009 at 5:28:45 am

Yeah that logo stood out to me, pretty cool, the whole animated logo clip in the commercial... but yeah thats definitely done in 3D, I'm sure with post done in after effects or another compositor, if I remember right it looked like it had some particle effects and the sphere was rotating

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]