ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Brainstorm for all effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gully MooreBrainstorm for all effects
by on Oct 15, 2009 at 5:41:22 pm

Hi,

I've just finished a music video and I'm hoping to jazz it up with some After Effects. I'm an experienced after effects user but sometimes you just can't think what to do when working with raw footage!

Is there a feature like brainstorm that will apply random effects to my footage? So I can decide what I like the look of and develop it further....

Thanks,

Gully

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Brainstorm for all effects
by on Oct 15, 2009 at 6:10:48 pm

Y'know, the AE documentation is sort of unclear whether Brainstorm is limited to Shape Layers only or if it works on ANY layer.

Got a video test clip? Add a couple of interesting effects, highlight some properties, hit the Brainstorm button and see what happens.

And you've seen the COW's Brainstorm podcast, right? Okay, it's for AE8, but I don't think this particular feature changed much in AE9.

http://podcasts.creativecow.net/after-effects-tutorials-podcast/using-brain...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Brainstorm for all effects
by on Oct 15, 2009 at 6:54:38 pm

> Y'know, the AE documentation is sort of unclear whether Brainstorm is limited to Shape Layers only or if it works on ANY layer.

It works on any kind of layer, on almost any property.

from "Use Brainstorm to experiment and explore settings":

"You can use Brainstorm on any property that has numeric values or options in a pop-up menu in the Timeline panel. Examples of properties on which you can’t use Brainstorm are Source Text, Mask Path, and the Histogram property for the Levels effect; however, you can use Brainstorm on the properties of the Levels (Individual Controls) effect."

I'm a little perplexed by the request to apply random effects. I would expect that you'd have _some_ idea of what you wanted to do with your movie. Randomly applying, say, the Tone effect or the Arithmetic effect isn't something that would help me in my creative process.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Brainstorm for all effects
by on Oct 15, 2009 at 7:04:43 pm

Great! Thanks for the clarification, Todd.

That's what I get for breezing through the documentation. The Lesson here is the same one you learn in elementary school: READ FOR UNDERSTANDING.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]