ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Set render queue to overwrite files automatically?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
Set render queue to overwrite files automatically?
on Oct 15, 2009 at 12:37:21 pm

Everytime I re-render a file...it automatically appends a _1 to the end of the file name when one with the same name exists. Is there a way to change the default to overwrite?

-Jason

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
Re: Set render queue to overwrite files automatically?
on Oct 15, 2009 at 1:03:50 pm

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure there's no way to do that ... it sure sounds like a good candidate for a feature request though.

I believe the only methods are moving or deleting the existing files, or selecting "comp name" in the render queue where it lest you choose file name, but when there is already a file of the same name, that generates a confirmation popup along the lines of "this will overwrite an existing file existing file, are you sure you want to do that"?

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Oct 15, 2009 at 2:56:42 pm

That's my same experience...I routinely overwrite files...intentionally. I'd love to be able to change it.

-Jason

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 15, 2009 at 3:19:19 pm

There's a reason why AE appends that number: it's to avoid those Homer Simpson "DOH!" moments, when you realize that you really shouldn't have overwritten something you already rendered.

But yeah, I agree it should be up to the AE practitioner to make that decision. It sounds like something that should go in Preferences: a little check-box next to the phrase "Overwrite Previous Renders", and it defaults to the unchecked state.

Then you'd have to make a conscious effort to hose yourself.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
John Hudson
on Oct 15, 2009 at 3:59:20 pm

Although I do agree it is a good idea to give an new file name you can do this.

Just select the comp in the render queue from the last time you rendered and hit command/shift/D (This is the keyboard selections for Mac. Probably Alt/Shift/D on a PC). This will duplicate the render, the settings and the name you used. Caution... It will not ask you to if you want to overwrite once you hit render.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Oct 15, 2009 at 5:04:27 pm

Perfect John!

While not the same as a default setting...it does exactly what I want to do.

Thanks so much!

-Jason

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on Oct 15, 2009 at 5:22:50 pm

Hmmm ... I duplicate renders in the queue all the time and didn't even realize it circumvents the overwrite warning ... maybe I'm so in the habit of double checking render file names, locations, etc. that I guess I confirm that it's pointing to the file I want overwritten and click through the confirmation window without being fully conscious of it. Hmmm again ... an only partially conscious animator ... unheard of, I know!

By the way, the Windows shortcut is just CNTRL D.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Oct 15, 2009 at 5:36:43 pm

Hey Dave,

If you read John's post...it's not just cmd+D or ctl+D on windows...add in the shift key, it changes the result. Simply cmd+d will duplicate, but append a _1 to the end. Shift+cmd+D will result in an overwrite. Interesting information. Good job John!

-Jason

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 15, 2009 at 5:54:57 pm

Oh, I read it all right. But I'm still intrigued by the notion -- which is what you wanted to know in the first place -- of giving the user the option to overwrite files when rendering. I still think Preferences is the proper place for an option like that.

But that's just me.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Oct 15, 2009 at 6:01:43 pm

I agree...my comment was directed @ Dave Johnson btw...

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on Oct 15, 2009 at 6:09:55 pm

Ahhh, yes, you're right that I didn't read it carefully enough and thank you for pointing that out ... it is very good info so I'm glad I got it on the second try.

Return to posts index

Touko Maksimainen
on Jan 29, 2010 at 7:40:53 am

Whoa! This is the most useful bit of information all day. I spend A LOT of time getting rid of those pesky "_1"'s. This is going to make my life a lot easier!

I think it's should be fine to overwrite stuff by default (Photoshop also has a frustrating habit of appending _copy at the ends of filenames). Simple "Are you sure?" question should be sufficient.

It's my responsibility to keep my files in order and not have my software babysit me on that, especially when there is no option to turning it off.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jan 29, 2010 at 1:35:13 pm

Since we discussed this...I use it ALL the time...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]