ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Syncing start of layer with end of other layer in composition?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Dane
Syncing start of layer with end of other layer in composition?
on Oct 15, 2009 at 7:49:26 am

This has been driving me crazy, I am trying to figure a way to automatically sync the start of one layer to the end of another layer within a composition, so it shows seamlessly.. I have been searching for "sync layers" and things like that but can't come up with anything... I do 3d modeling and in this there is something called "snaps" for snapping vertices to the same spot.. there must be something like this in compositing, right? thanks for any advice

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Syncing start of layer with end of other layer in composition?
on Oct 15, 2009 at 3:27:16 pm

You just need to know a little more AE-Lingo, that's all. In AE, the command is called Sequence Layers. Here, read all about it:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906...

Wouldn't it be nice if everybody used the same terminology for the same action? Sadly, don't hold your breath on that happening.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 15, 2009 at 3:46:39 pm

You can also turn on snapping by holding the Shift key as you drag layers in time. For example, you can snap a layer's In point to the time of another layer's Out point, as you are trying to do. See "Place or move layers in time".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Oct 15, 2009 at 6:12:43 pm

Another way to do it is split layer (cmd+shift+D maybe?)

It will split a layer in 2 pieces and butt the beginning up with the end...then you can just alt+drag to replace that layer with the one you want...not as slick as sequence footage...but I've used it in a pinch.

-Jason

Return to posts index

Rick Dane
on Oct 16, 2009 at 5:51:54 am

Thanks for the help, actually after more searching I even found a tutorial termed with "layer snapping" but yeah the lingo terminology problem is definitely prevalent when going from different softwares :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]