ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Multi Core Rendering problems with CS4 and Windows 7

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Remington McElhaneyMulti Core Rendering problems with CS4 and Windows 7
by on Oct 15, 2009 at 6:18:58 am

Hey guys,
I have a brand new computer that I just built, and its got an intel i7 2.66 ghz quad core processor, and 6GB of tri-channel ram, and yet by renders are painfully slow. I'm currently rendering out a basic 20 sec video and its telling me 3 1/2 hours. That seems a little slow for a computer that should be able to handle this kind of thing easily. This was the maiden voyage for my computer and so far I'm not to impressed. I'm using After Effects CS4 and Windows 7, so I don't know if there may be a problem with that, or if its a problem with my settings, I've enabled multi core proccesing in the preferences. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated, because I know something has to be wrong, and it really can't be this slow.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mark WalczakRe: Multi Core Rendering problems with CS4 and Windows 7
by on Oct 16, 2009 at 7:56:11 pm

I am probably the biggest multi-processing evangelist out there, so I'm glad that you've at least gotten that far (as many people would be wondering why it is rendering slow when it only uses ONE CORE!).

Anyhoo, be sure you are giving each render instance enough RAM. Now, the i7 may be confusing AE (or vice-versa) since there is the whole "virtual" core thingy. How many instances of AE launch when you enable multiprocessing?

This may be a question for an Adobe expert, who may be able to walk you through this more thoroughly. If you do end up contacting Adobe, please post your results (as I am about to build an i7 rig myself :-)

What makes you explode?
http://www.explosivegraffix.com

Return to posts index

Remington McElhaneyRe: Multi Core Rendering problems with CS4 and Windows 7
by on Oct 16, 2009 at 9:21:33 pm

Yeah, I'm really not sure whats going on. I ended up stopping the render because my cpu temperature was skyrocketing. So I tried the next day and just turned off multi core processing and it rendered out it 8 min which is still not to fast, but it beats 3 hours and a fried cpu. I'm sure who to contact, because this is my first build, and I don't know if I talk to adobe, or intel or EVGA. Maybe I'll hit them all up because something is definitnly wrong, and I built this computer to do After Effects so this is a little frusterating. I did give the cpu all of the ram I had when I tried that render, but I'm not sure what to do now. And I'm not quite sure what you mean with how many instances of After Effects open up, thats new terminology for me:)

Return to posts index

by on Oct 16, 2009 at 10:21:28 pm

Quickly regarding instances:

Since AE is entirely 32-bit, it can't access all of your cores without doing some trickery. When you enable multiprocessing, AE essentially sets up a mini render farm on your computer (this is where the trickery comes in). AE will start several "copies" of itself on your computer, and distribute the rendering job across each "copy." For instance, when you enable multiprocessing on a Mac, you will see instances ("copies") of a program called AEselfLink start up in Activity Monitor (which is the Apple version of Task Manager, of sorts). I believe on a PC, you simply see more than one instance of After Effects in Task Manager. There should be one instance launched per core of your CPU. In your case, the computer may be starting one instance per real core, or one instance per virtual core, hence why I asked.

Again, this whole process of getting AE to address all of your cores is a somewhat-sloppy-somewhat-clean work-around to non-native 64-bit support. Most of the time, it works great, but it can sometimes confuse itself over what cores/instances should render what frames (which may be the problem in your case). I would recommend checking with Adobe before anyone else, as it is probably a software and not a hardware issue (no offense to Adobe or their employees).

Hope this helps, and keep us posted!

What makes you explode?

Return to posts index

Remington McElhaneyRe: Multi Core Rendering problems with CS4 and Windows 7
by on Oct 17, 2009 at 12:28:02 am

Okay, thanks I appreciate your help. I'll go ahead and contact them and see what I can come up with

Return to posts index

chris delfosseRe: Multi Core Rendering problems with CS4 and Windows 7
by on Oct 20, 2009 at 8:28:44 am

Hi

I got a very similar problem. I built a new workstation to work on 3D and After Effects, with I7 processor and windows 7 64bit.
While working on AE, i noticed the preview renders were very slow and sometimes freezing. I checked the task manager and After Effects is running 5 instances of itself and its close to 12% processor activity while doing ram previews.
The main problem i have aside it beeing slow, is that ram previews are freezing the program very often. When it works, AE renders 2-3 frames then freeze for 5 seconds before resuming ram previews. I just dont get it... Why is it slower than my PentiumIV?!? it is also slower than my labtop with core 2 duo.
I really would like to know how to fix the problem as AE is what brings me food on the table.
Any kind of help would be highly apreciated.
Many thanks
Chris

Return to posts index

by on Oct 20, 2009 at 2:41:22 pm

This all seems to be due to the fact that Adobe has been trying to slop this together for the longest time, and it's finally starting to catch up to them.

Adobe has a feature request form on their site where you can request such things as native x64 builds. I already did. Consider it the software version of "writing to your congressman"...

What makes you explode?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]