ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Keying inside text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John DeanKeying inside text
by on Oct 15, 2009 at 6:17:35 am

I know this must be basic AE 101 stuff, but I can't seem to figure to how to key or insert footage inside text, that is then keyed over background footage.
I can do it with a pre-built matte (using PS) consisting of white type over a black background using the Luma Key. But the edges of the type are ragged (matte size is 1920x1080) and I need them to be clean when it zooms forward.
Seems like the cleanest way to do this is to use text built inside AE, but again I can't get it to work.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John

Return to posts index

Remington McElhaneyRe: Keying inside text
by on Oct 15, 2009 at 6:23:44 am

Umm, theres several ways to do this, but I think the easiest way would be to simply take the text that you want and make it black on a white background, and then use the "luma matte" track matte to insert your pictures. I'm assuming you know what I mean when I say use a track matte, but let me know if you don't.

Return to posts index

John DeanRe: Keying inside text
by on Oct 15, 2009 at 6:32:31 am

hey remington, no i don't know what a "track matte" is so please explain...
btw, i assume you mean to create a text layer in AE with black type over a white background using a "solid" white layer, right? the "luma matte" is applied to the text layer?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Keying inside text
by on Oct 15, 2009 at 3:12:29 pm

Lucky you! AE's online help 'splains it all!

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Oct 15, 2009 at 3:26:06 pm

actually dave it doesn't, and i'm on a deadline.
but thanks for the sarcasm.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Keying inside text
by on Oct 15, 2009 at 5:15:52 pm

[John Dean] "actually dave it doesn't, and i'm on a deadline. "

If you actually take three minutes to read the thing, it most certainly does.

Furthermore, if you're getting paid for this AE work on a tight deadline and you DON'T have a clue about Track Mattes, thanks for the warning: I can alert folks about who not to hire.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Remington McElhaneyRe: Keying inside text
by on Oct 15, 2009 at 5:09:06 pm

Okay, I'll try to explain it the best I can. If I were you though, I'd check out Andrew Kramers tutorials, because they explain it very well. But basically heres what you do. Your going to want to create a solid for your Background, and then create your text layer and then your going to put your text layer on top of the picture that you want underneath it and what your going to use is a track matte. What a track matte does, is alow you to apply the transparancy of another layer to the layer. I know that probably sounds a little confusing but once you do it you get the concept. So you may need to toggle your switches(little button on the bottom) in order to see your track matte options, and then with the text above the image set the images track matte to Alpha Matte. Now you should be able to move your picture around and only have it show up in the text. You can also change the text and move it around as well.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 15, 2009 at 5:14:57 pm

thanks remington, i really appreciate your help on this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]