ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Hyperlinks in FLVs from AE?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David JohnsonHyperlinks in FLVs from AE?
by on Oct 15, 2009 at 12:23:12 am

Anyone know if it's possible to embed hyperlinks into FLVs from AE?

I'm actually rendering Animation MOVs from AE CS3 and converting them to FLVs using Adobe Media Encoder, but I have Flix Exporter so I can render good FLVs directly from AE, if that'll give me the capability. A client wants his email address clickable on the web video and our web guys don't seem to know how to do it.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Hyperlinks in FLVs from AE?
by on Oct 15, 2009 at 2:10:24 am

Not directly, no. FLV files themselves don't contain interactive elements. If you're playing the FLV in a browser, then it's got to be contained in (or linked to in) a SWF, and that SWF can contain the extra smarts to superimpose a clickable link on the video.

On a related note: You can include cue points in an FLV file, and then some ActionScript code can operate on those on the Flash side.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Hyperlinks in FLVs from AE?
by on Oct 15, 2009 at 2:57:43 am

Thanks much Todd.

Anyone know where I can read up on FLV cue points (in addition to the manual)? I don't know much of Flash so I'm only guessing that cue points might better suit the need since the links need to be on text already contained in the video at specific times rather than the whole screen. However, I also need to avoid having a web designer taking the video into Flash and recompressing it since I'll get blamed for the resulting poor quality.

Return to posts index

Andrew FordRe: Hyperlinks in FLVs from AE?
by on Oct 16, 2009 at 8:07:31 pm

In AE, make composition markers and then convert into Flash cue points.
Enter name, values, etc for your event cue point.

Cue points can also be made in Media Encoder.

Let your web staff add the appropriate actionscript that refers to your named cue points.

There's good info on cue points on the Adobe Help site... both in the Media Encoder and After Effects section.

The above method is a good solution, but if you need to go the other route Todd mentioned by having the web staff superimpose clickable areas over the video, they can import the FLV that you compressed with your settings, and then mix in their content to publish a final SWF. The SWF adds additional functionality, but it still reads the video from your linked FLV file.
It doesn't even have to be an FLV... you could make .mp4, .wmv, etc. and your web staff can import it via an instance of FLV Playback. In Flash, with component inspector parameters, they can link to any source video you provide.

Always design with a purpose.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved