ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Shaky hand held camera effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ray KinmanShaky hand held camera effect
by on Oct 14, 2009 at 3:22:05 am

I am new (on my trial run) to AE. I saw this really cool effect that imitates a slightly shakey footage that jumps around (barely) and does these little micro-zoom movements. A good example is in the movie "Hancock". This effect really brings the footage to life.

Any idea how to do this?

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Shaky hand held camera effect
by on Oct 14, 2009 at 6:40:02 am

You can use the Wiggle Expression or Panel (via menu Window>Wiggler) to affect propwerties in AE.

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Rick DaneRe: Shaky hand held camera effect
by on Oct 16, 2009 at 8:43:06 am

If you really wanted to go all out with this I think this would work (but you have to use a 3D software for it, like 3ds max)..

you can film a plane in the 3D software and animate the camera to give it the wiggles, shakiness that you want, then you export the animation of the plane from the view point of the camera (using a format that supports exporting the uv coordinates, like openexr) then you can use a plugin for after effects su as re:map uv (think thats what its called) or the youveelizer ( and then put the video footage onto that plane and play the animation.

Just figured I'd throw this out there since it might interest someone, I'm always thinking of weird ways to utilize 3D apps, I haven't tested it myself but I think this would work and could give unique shakiness if done right but it would take some time to do.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved