ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

rotation acceleration

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Warren Morningstarrotation acceleration
by on Oct 13, 2009 at 8:47:44 pm

I want to animate a propeller so that it starts from a stopped position and then rotates and accelerates so that it becomes a blur (like an engine starting on an airplane). Suggestions? Thanks for the help to a newbie.

Return to posts index

Dave JohnsonRe: rotation acceleration
by on Oct 13, 2009 at 9:07:22 pm

I did this kind of effect a few years back with only some minor adjustments to an expression from either Dan Ehbert's site or AE Enhancers ... I don't recall the details so I'm sorry I can't be more help in that way. However, I'll make one simple suggestion that I unfortunately remembered the hard way so that it might save you the grief I went through ... if you plan to have a sound track, you might want to mix it first, then build your animation to match it ... sound goes a long way in selling some effects, but sound that doesn't sync well with the visuals can also ruin otherwise good visuals.

Return to posts index

Paul ConigliaroRe: rotation acceleration
by on Oct 13, 2009 at 9:22:53 pm

Would you be able to use the graph editor to get a decent acceleration curve?

Also, I'd highly recommend having a propeller element that's already blurred. Many times, motion blur in AE doesn't exactly yield the results you might want.

What I would do is use the graph editor to get a nice acceleration curve, then possibly add a light wiggle expression to give it a little variance. Then I'd transition that into a blurred propeller with some rotation (both directions, look at some reference footage) and a high-frequency wiggle so you have more control over what the blurred propeller looks like instead of relying on the sub-frame samples in AE.

Adobe CS3, Apple FCS2
[Disclaimer: Sometimes I am an idiot and misinterpret people's posts. I'm sorry.]

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: rotation acceleration
by on Oct 14, 2009 at 1:04:36 am

Or use an expression for rotation. time*100 (insert value you want)

Return to posts index

Warren MorningstarRe: rotation acceleration
by on Oct 14, 2009 at 11:44:24 am

Thanks Paul, Brian, and Dave. Great suggestions all. Really appreciate the help.

Return to posts index

Anders HattneRe: rotation acceleration
by on Oct 14, 2009 at 2:40:09 pm

For the expression I'd tie a slider to the value so that way you can make the acceleration with the slider and once you have the speed you want you'll need no more keyframes.

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: rotation acceleration
by on Oct 15, 2009 at 2:36:55 pm

I second the "blurred prop image" recommendation. AE's motion blur might give you a spirograph effect, which you may or may not want.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved