ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Resizing layer, how to set it to be at 100% for syncing with other layers?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Dane
After Resizing layer, how to set it to be at 100% for syncing with other layers?
on Oct 13, 2009 at 7:29:14 pm

Sorry if this has been answered before but I don't really know what terminology to use to search for this... my issue is this: I have 2 (or more) layers that started off in raw form that I resized so that one fits on top of the other.. in doing this I did not maintain the aspect ration (since its for an animated web layout it doesn't degrade the quality of the look) so now I have 2 layers properly positioned on top of one another.

What I want to do is then be able to resize these two layers together so they will maintain the same relation to one another but since they are each at different scale percentages this doesn't work as re-sizing the layers together results in them no longer being positioned properly over one another.

Is there a way that I can set the two re-sized layers to be at 100% scale (with their new size) or something similar so I can resize them together as a unit?

Thanks for any help on this.

Return to posts index

Jason Benjamin
Re: After Resizing layer, how to set it to be at 100% for syncing with other layers?
on Oct 13, 2009 at 7:42:37 pm

This should be an easy one, if you dont currently see a PARENT column in your timeline then right click in the empty space next to source name. There you will see an option to add columns. add the PARENTING column and AFTER setting the base size and position of your 2 layers parent 1 layer to the other. Then only adjust the position, scale, rotations etc on the layer that you have designated to be the parent.

You can parent one layer to the next by either selecting the layer in the drop down list or selecting the pick whip (the curly icon next to the drop down list) and drag that to the layer you want to parent too.

Return to posts index

Rick Dane
Re: After Resizing layer, how to set it to be at 100% for syncing with other layers?
on Oct 13, 2009 at 7:48:37 pm

Thanks, it works great

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on Oct 13, 2009 at 7:50:52 pm

There are several things you can do ...

1) Precompose by selecting both layers and going to "precompose" from the layer menu.

2) Use the Transform effect (in the Distort menu I think)... either on each layer individually or on an adjustment layer above both.

3) Select both layers and drag the scale property for one of them to the left or right to decrease or increase scale and the other will change with it proportionally ... only works dragging the value though ... if you type it in, it'll change both to the same value.

If I thought about it long enough, I'm sure there'd be a dozen more ways, but those should get you started in the right direction.

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on Oct 13, 2009 at 7:53:46 pm

Oh yeah! Parenting! That's probably the best way depending on the circumstances. Apparently, I hadn't thought about it long enough! lol

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]