ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

footage to big for after effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Johnson
footage to big for after effects?
on Oct 13, 2009 at 5:15:38 pm

Hi,

Im pretty new to after effects and im having trouble importing footage. The footage i am importing is shot in 24p SD from DVtape in my camera and is about 3gb in size. When i try importing it from my camera (panasonic dvx 100b) after effects crashes. I've tried disabling openGL and using the 'secret' purge after every 15 frames and also deleting the preference files on startup but with no luck. I import the footage using the windows import wizard when i plug in my camera.

Is 3gb to big for after effects? Would it be better to import using premiere pro? What else could be causing the crash?

I have an AMD Athlon Dual Core with 4gb ram and a ATI 2600 graphics card.

Thanks for any advice...

Ben.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: footage to big for after effects?
on Oct 13, 2009 at 5:31:55 pm

[Ben Johnson] "...When i try importing it from my camera (panasonic dvx 100b) after effects crashes. "

You make it sound like you're trying to capture video straight into AE. You can't do that. You have to use a different application to capture.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Oct 13, 2009 at 5:46:11 pm

the file size shouldn't matter too much to ae... it more or less handles things frame by frame.

however codec does matter. do you know what format (avi, mov, etc.) and codec (dv, mpeg2, lossless, etc.) the clips were encoded as?

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Ben Johnson
on Oct 13, 2009 at 7:03:06 pm

Hi thanks for the response.

To be honest im not to sure what codec is used but its either avi or wmv. I just transferred the footage from my camera to the computer.

What codecs would you recommend?

Thanks again.

Ben.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Oct 13, 2009 at 8:45:13 pm

i'm a little confused... in the first post you mentioned getting the footage from dvtape from your camera, which i assumed that you had captured with an nle or some other capture utility (as dave mentioned, you can't capture with ae). but now you're saying that you pulled the files off the camera directly...

either way, the files should have an extension (like .avi or .wmv) so that would at least give us the container (or format). if you can open those files in a media player, then you can likely find out information about the file's codec.

if you did use an nle or capture utility to capture from tape, then you should just check the capture settings to determine the codec. since i think the dvx100 is a dv camera, you should likely be capturing to a dv codec. there are many dv varieties. i don't recommend apples dv codec, but avid makes one that works with quicktime (free for both pc and mac from avid), so that's an option for either platform. if you can only capture avi, then pinnacle has a free dv25 codec for avi (found it here), but i'm sure there are others.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
on Oct 13, 2009 at 9:44:48 pm

OK everybody, he mentioned he used the Windows Import Wizard to get his footage on the computer, not an NLE or After Effects. Looks like Microsoft has a nice tutorial about it at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Import-live-video-from-a-D....

Ben, your footage is not too "big" for After Effects, not at all. You probably simply captured to some weird flavor of WMV codec when you used the cheezy little Windows import tool. In the future, don't use that tool, use Premiere Pro since you have it... it's great.

The DVX100 records in the DV format... importing to any other codec would be a bad thing. You don't need to download any other codecs or mess with any other settings. Just go to Premiere Pro, make a new project (NTSC DV Standard 48khz, ignore the 24p project because the DVX is recording in a 29.97 framerate stream anyway and this is easier). Once you create the project, hit F5 to bring up the Capture tool, and get to capturin'. Once you have all your files, you can drag them to After Effects and they'll work much better than whatever you had. They will be DV AVI files; that's what Premiere likes on Windows.

If you still have issues after all that, there may be some whacked-out After Effects settings. You didn't mention at what point the program crashes, so that would be good to know. One issue I've had is multiprocessing... you've got dual cores but sometimes RAM won't keep up with them and AE freaks out. Experiment with disabling multiprocessing in AE by going to Edit > Preferences > Multiprocessing and deselect Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously. This may make things slower but slow is better than nothing. It may not even be the problem.

Return to posts index

Ben Johnson
on Oct 14, 2009 at 4:07:42 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. I think i have it sorted now, i downloaded the pinnacle codec and it seems to have done the trick, but i think i will try using premiere anyway as it seems to be a good option.

Thanks again for the help..

Ben.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]