ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

50i pal SD to 24p conversion, is it worth the effort/ rendering time

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ronan James50i pal SD to 24p conversion, is it worth the effort/ rendering time
by on Oct 13, 2009 at 3:04:36 pm

Hi,
I am relitively new to after effects, I use CS3 and have the magic bullet suite plugin. All of my video projects to date have been completed in P. Pro and my footage is captured by Canon XL1s in 4;3 pal movie mode. I have read a bit about 24p and have a few questions regarding the subject, any help will be much appreciated.

I have a project coming up where i am considering converting my finished edit 50i pal to 24p. The finished documentary will only be going to DVD and not for film projection or film festivals...
Because the finished doc will never end up on film is there any benifit in a 24p conversion...

If so can someone recommend a workflow from P Pro into after effects and then into encore to author the dvd.

Thanks
hally

Ronan James
James Multimedia Studios

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 50i pal SD to 24p conversion, is it worth the effort/ rendering time
by on Oct 13, 2009 at 3:15:08 pm

[Ronan James] "The finished documentary will only be going to DVD and not for film projection or film festivals... "

Since you were contemplating shooting at 24p, you should also be capable of shooting at 25p. But if you're in PAL-land, why on Earth would you shoot at 24p when you could shoot at 25p?

Do you really think you'd be able to see that 1-frame-per-second difference? Do you know how problematic that one single frame per second is to deal with? The answer: it's a Right Royal Pain, and if you don't have to deal with it, don't.

There are good reasons to shoot 24p, but NONE of them are contained in the phrase, "I want to shoot 24p just 'cause it's cool."

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ronan JamesRe: 50i pal SD to 24p conversion, is it worth the effort/ rendering time
by on Oct 13, 2009 at 4:27:28 pm

Thanks Dave for your speedy responce,

I'm not contemplating shooting @ 24p as I use a Canon XL1S for shooting and that camera doesn't have the option to shoot 24p. I was wondering if a conversion to 24p (deinterlacing the footage) and diartifacting in after effects/ magic bullet suite, after the final edit in prem. pro would make any desernable improvement to the footage...and with a small mutimedia business and a family to feed I don't have time "to be cool" but i do endevour to produce the best possible product with my available equipment and talent, for my clients...

So, you recommend to stay well away from 24p as it is mainly used for 60i NTFS conversion...

While we are talking, what would u suggest i do with my edited 25p pal footage in an effort to optimize its potential quality, what workflow to final output to DVD...

Thanks again
hally

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 50i pal SD to 24p conversion, is it worth the effort/ rendering time
by on Oct 13, 2009 at 4:47:29 pm

I could tell you how to proceed in Final Cut Pro, but Premiere? I'm not very familiar with it. To wit: I don't know how Premiere handles fields.

24p is handy when you contemplate both NTSC & PAL delivery -- remove the pulldown & cut, then make an NTSC 24p dvd... conform the frame rate of the project to 25 for PAL.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Brian ThompsonRe: 50i pal SD to 24p conversion, is it worth the effort/ rendering time
by on Oct 27, 2009 at 6:33:37 am

Dave, I would be very interested in your recommended work flow 50i to 24p or 29.97 using FCP and compressor? I'm looking for the absolute best way that I can out put an SD DVD as well as blu-ray 90 minute project. I am currently in apple pro res HQ 25 fps I look forward to hearing from you, Brian

Return to posts index

by on Oct 28, 2009 at 3:40:14 pm

[Brian Thompson] " would be very interested in your recommended work flow 50i to 24p or 29.97 using FCP and compressor?"

Is it REALLY interlaced? Or is it 25P on the two fields? If it's the second, just comform it to 23.976, erroneously known as 23.98 in Apple-land.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Brian Thompson] "I'm looking for the absolute best way that I can out put an SD DVD as well as blu-ray 90 minute project."

The absolute best way? Well, that's a different kettle of fish -- take it to a production house and have them do it in hardware.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Brian Thompson] "I am currently in apple pro res HQ 25 fps"

Sorry, but that's a bad choice of codecs. Don't let that "HQ" stuff fool you. Regular ProRes will retain all the quality you need.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]