ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Sloooow-moooooo

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Weaver
Sloooow-moooooo
on Oct 13, 2009 at 2:49:45 pm

Which settings give the smoothest results when slo mo-ing progressive footage?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
For Sloooow-moooooo, shoot it that way
on Oct 13, 2009 at 2:56:58 pm

If you want REALLY slow slow motion -- which the title of your post implies -- there's isn't a whole lot you can do with normal footage in AE. You really do need to get a camera that shoots at, say, 500 fps.

As you might expect, even renting such a camera ain't cheap.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
Re: Sloooow-moooooo
on Oct 13, 2009 at 3:04:35 pm

Well, without using any third party plugins or an expensive high speed camera, you can just change the speed of your footage to the desired slow-mo percentage, then right click on the layer, go to frame blending, and change it to "Pixel Motion". It will take a long time to render, as it has to generate frames between frames.

You might want to be careful with this setting though, as sometimes it can guess motion incorrectly and you get some strange distortion, so just watch all the slow-mo footage back to make sure it's ok.

Jon Geddes
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Oct 13, 2009 at 3:16:18 pm

as dave says, the best way is to shoot it that way.

another way that can give pretty good results particularly for half-speed slo-mo, is to shoot interlaced, set ae to separate fields and preserve edges (select footage in project window and choose file>interpret footage>main select those options) then drop that into a new comp and choose layer>time>time stretch and set to 200%. this usually produces surprising good half-speed slow-mo, where ae uses the extra field data to interpolate the new frames.

you can push that further by enabling frame blending (layer>frame blending>pixel motion), click the frame blending option in the preview window and set the stretch to 400%. ae will then create frames between the frames to get the footage to quarter speed slo-mo with varying results. sometimes this can produce decent enough footage, but often you'll get some bad frames or strange artifacts in the interpolated frames,a nd you'll have a tough time getting usable results if you push interlaced material beyond 400% (progressive will be hard to push beyond 200% with this method).

timewarp my be able to produce better results, but again it will be hard to push progressive footage beyond half-speed (interlaced footage should be deinterlaced, stretched and rendered as described above, prior to timewarp).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Neil Weaver
on Oct 14, 2009 at 5:44:26 pm

Thanks all.

The reason I was asking is I've just discovered the joys of shooting progressive over interlaced - I never realised it was interlacing that makes footage look really 'video-y'!

I'm not looking to shoot proper slow mo, despite the title of my post - sorry Dave! It was more for those times you might need to run a clip a little slower than full speed, so thanks for all the advice.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 14, 2009 at 5:49:17 pm

[Neil Weaver] "I'm not looking to shoot proper slow mo... It was more for those times you might need to run a clip a little slower than full speed"

Oh, that's good. In that case, shoot 720p 59.94. Screw 1080.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Neil Weaver
on Oct 14, 2009 at 11:32:44 pm

Thanks Dave - I would, but I'm over here in PAL land shooting at either 50i or 25F.

My Cannon does offer the option of 720P though - what are the advantages of that over 1080?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 15, 2009 at 3:04:53 pm

Well, at least on Panasonic P2 cameras there's an advantage: you can shoot true (59.94p aka 60p), and the European models can shoot true 50p at 720; they can't at 1080. If you slo-mo using entire frames, the picture looks better.

I'd THINK Canon camers could do the same thing, but I don't know that for sure: too many different cameras out there, y'know?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Neil Weaver
on Oct 15, 2009 at 10:55:59 pm

Too many cameras, too many formats, too many codecs...
Still, thanks to the Cow, I've discovered JES de-interlacer which could be the answer to all my problems. Well, the editing ones anyway!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]