ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Videos skip when I edit them in After Effectscs4

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David johns
Videos skip when I edit them in After Effectscs4
on Oct 13, 2009 at 2:29:44 pm

I'm not sure if this problem is due to AE but this is where I experience it the most. When I add my video (.mpg) into the time line and I render it and hit play my video skips and doesn't play smoothly at all. I have tried making it... .mov, .mp4 but nothing seems to work. its not a big file its only 20mb. I have a Vista Dual core. if you need anymore information I'll be happy to add more.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Videos skip when I edit them in After Effectscs4
on Oct 13, 2009 at 3:44:01 pm

FYI: ".mov" is NOT a codec. It's the extension for a Quicktime movie -- a media container -- in which files can be compressed using a wide variety of codecs. Knowing that, read on:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David johns
on Oct 13, 2009 at 5:07:19 pm

Thanks a ton I will change the codec and see what happens

Return to posts index

David johns
on Oct 13, 2009 at 5:14:18 pm

What would be a good codec/format to use?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 13, 2009 at 7:08:21 pm

Since I'm a Mac guy, I'd use Quicktime's Animation codec for video with a lot of big areas of a single color, or Quicktime's PNG codec (not a PNG sequence) for more highly-detailed video. Both are lossless, and since mpeg2 is a lossy codec, you need to preserve what quality you have.

On a windows box? I got no clue other than uncompressed AVI.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brandon Gosnell
on Oct 13, 2009 at 11:42:06 pm

Even though you're using a PC, you can still export to Quicktime. I like the Quicktime Photo-JPEG codec, lossless quality with smaller file sizes than the Animation codec.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]