ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Preferred shooting method questions for

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Benepe
Preferred shooting method questions for
on Oct 12, 2009 at 7:43:21 pm

So I'm going to be in charge of shooting a large amount of video on green screen. We're shooting people on green screen and comping in backgrounds...pretty stock stuff. The last time this was done, we wanted to have a "hand-held" look to the clips. The camera was locked down, and all of the effects to make it look like it was hand held were done in AF. We needed to outsource this. They used a lot of 3d cameras with blurs, etc worked in to achieve the effect. The turn around time was a little steep.

I'm still pretty new to the whole AF thing, and trying to learn. My question is would it be better to have the camera locked down again, resulting in the video needing to be outsourced (since I don't think i can handle making it look hand held at this point) or to actually shoot the footage handheld with some track points.

I know by shooting it handheld, i'm limiting myself, or creating a huge headache to try to stabilize it if anyone changes their mind about what they want, but doing it like the first shoot would result in needing the footage to be outsourced, and slow up the process.

Just wondering what everyones thoughts were

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Preferred shooting method questions for
on Oct 12, 2009 at 9:36:22 pm

[Matt Benepe] "My question is would it be better to have the camera locked down again, resulting in the video needing to be outsourced (since I don't think i can handle making it look hand held at this point) or to actually shoot the footage handheld with some track points"

If you're absolutely, positively, 100-percent, no-turning-back CERTAIN that you can do it hand-held with track points, you're good to go.

This assumes that you've done numerous tests, shooting with the same camera you'll use for real, and including both chroma keying and motion tracking... and you've been 100% successful.

Is there the least bit of doubt that you can't pull it off? SHOOT ON A TRIPOD! Here's why:

Dave's Stock Answer #2:

When you're out on a shoot, and you say, "we'll fix this in post" without knowing PRECISELY HOW you're going to fix it in post, don't shoot it! You'll only end up shooting it over again.

Since post typically costs three times the cost of production, fixing something in post is not a way to save money, but rather a way to spend more of it.

And, before you say "well fix it in post," always consider who's doing the work, especially if you're the one doing the editing.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 13, 2009 at 3:07:59 pm

If you're determined to do hand-held chromakeys, and you have access to a high-resolution camera like a RED camera shooting 2K, You can always shoot your green-screen subjects a little loose. Then on another camera, shoot a couple of white tracking points hand-held against black. Track the points. Apply the motion to a null object. Pull your key on the RED footage, parent it to the null, and scale as necessary.

A hand-held look on a locked-down shot. Life is good.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tony Silva
on Oct 12, 2009 at 9:51:06 pm

sounds like fun, outsource it to me :P

if you shoot it on a tripod and wanna make it look handheld, just shoot the greenscreen handheld with tracking markers, then track those in AE and apply it to your footage. You can't get crazy with it though.

I say do tests both ways.

Return to posts index

Ernie Geefay
on Oct 13, 2009 at 12:37:11 am

I did something like that on a low budget auto shoot
I live in Northern California. The client is in Southern California.
We didn't have the budget to fly down and shoot actors standing next to their cars...so I just got a bunch of actors together at my house, set up a green screen background, put a white "X" with tape on one corner and shot the actors one after the other...panning the camera slightly.
Got all the actors done in under 30 minutes and key'd the cars in (from stock shots and brochures) the background using motion tracking feature in AE

Here's what it looked like.

http://www.egeefay.com/espublic/ToyotaOfTheDesert/default2.htm

Hope that helps

Ernie

Return to posts index

Matt Benepe
on Oct 14, 2009 at 1:31:27 pm

thanks guys. I like the idea of locking it down and then shooting a handheld plate seperate to be applied later. This seems like a pretty straight forward solution and cost effective.

The handheld moves aren't going to be crazy....they're more subtle, like someone trying to stay on a subject with some slight bumps to spice up the handheld look.

This helps a lot. Love these boards....such a wealth of knowledge.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]