ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

shape layers and anchor points

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Croweshape layers and anchor points
by on Oct 12, 2009 at 4:46:12 pm

I have made a rectangular shape layer with rounded corners. Now I would like to scale the rectangle from the right side (as if the anchor point was on the right side) and have the roundness of the corners stay the same. I have tried animating the size of the rectangle path within the shape layer, and that works, but it always scales from the center.

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: shape layers and anchor points
by on Oct 14, 2009 at 12:39:30 am

I guess there's some reason you don't want to just move the anchor point so the only other thing i can think of to avoid losing the rounded corners altogeher is to use some sort of distort effect to basically squeeze the shape, but that'll still change the curvature of the corners.

Just thought of something else ... duplicate the shape, use animated masks on both and move the postion of the one on the right.

Return to posts index

Patrick SimkinsRe: shape layers and anchor points
by on Jan 7, 2010 at 8:11:16 am

Shape layers suck, but you're right – to maintain that nice rounded corner, you have to manipulate the shape's size (not the layer size).

You can move the anchor point of a shape layer using a few expressions. Go directly under the "size" attribute and alt-click "Position." Pickwhip that to Size, and type /2 to divide it in half. That'll set the anchor point in the top-left corner.

From there, go to your layer's transform properties (NOT the shape transform properties), and alt-click "anchor point." Type [ (left bracket), then pick-whip the WIDTH on your shape's size attribute (width first, height second), then a comma, then 0, and then ] (right bracket) to close.

What that does is take whatever shape size value you enter and add it to that top-left anchor point, moving it to the top right!

Easy, huh? Maybe Adobe should just fix their damn vector shapes. Hope that helped. If not, I wrote a post on my blog about it. It has pictures and whatnot.

Return to posts index

Sam FackRe: shape layers and anchor points
by on Apr 25, 2014 at 10:37:13 am

Perfect works a treat!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved