We discovered a bug in After Effects that occurs when you render out an AVI (using the Render Q) for comps wider than 16384 pixels (ribbon board animations for stadiums). A frame at the beginning of the render is repeated and the last frame is not rendered. The AVI is still the correct length, but stutters at the beginning and skips at the end. It can be problematic with looping animations. This only affects avi's. Quicktimes and image sequences render just fine.
We tested several comps to narrow down the maximum width at 16384. We tried it on 32bit and 64bit systems, and using AfterEffects CS4, CS3. It's not a frame rate issue since we rendered and interpreted everything at 30 fps and 29.97fps.
We did find a workaround. If you Export an avi, rather than rendering it in the Render Queue, it works fine. Unfortunately this isn't a solution since many times we need to render out multiple animations and the export option doesn't allow us to do that.
Steps to reproduce bug:
1) Create an AE comp that is 16385 x 48 (w x h) 10 seconds long. Square Pixels. 29.97
2) Add a new layer. Add effect: Timecode and move center point of effect so you can view it. Notice that the first frame displays 00:00:00:00 and the final frame displays: 00:00:09:29.
3) Send this to the Render Q. Render out as an uncompressed AVI
4) Bring AVI back in and place in new comp. Now notice that the final frame is displaying 00:00:09:28. When you look through the frames one at a time, you'll discover that the first frame is repeated; which in turn shifts the rest of the frames down the timeline.
This doesn't happen when you render out a .mov or a sequence (JPEG seq.) Unfortunately our clients need a .AVI for their playback device.
I know it could be a pain, but did you try using DIFFERENT application to convert high-quality QT's to high-quality AVI's? It shouldn't take that long at all, and almost any compression application lets you batch process.
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA
Thanks Dave, We did try to bring the .mov into Premiere, Adobe Media Encoder, and Windows Media Encoder with not success. They have limitations on the width of what they accept. Plus when we discoverd that we can just export straight out of AE successfully we used that as a solution as to not open up another app.
I did submit a bug report to Adobe so hopefully they will address this problem.
I've found tons of problems with Adobe Media Encoder...your issues with Premier is because they both use the same type of processing to render. And Windows Media Encoder is never one I've heard anything good about.
You should probably try a more *professional* transcoder when rendering outside of *normal* specs. I've had a lot of luck with Sorenson. Episode Pro is very capable...and you could also try freeware - Erightsoft's "Super" is a very capable program.