ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Help! Rotoscoped figure showing up as white mask!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phillip EnriquezHelp! Rotoscoped figure showing up as white mask!
by on Oct 12, 2009 at 1:48:51 am

Hello, so I'm learning how to rotoscope a moving figure by applying its tracking data to a white solid. I've tracked the footage, applied the tracking data to the white solid, rotoscoped the figure I want removed from the footage on the hidden white solid layer, but can't seem to 'extract' the rotoscoped figure from the footage. The mask is set to 'Add,' but when I reveal the white solid layer all I see is a white mask of the figure I rotoscoped.

I know the solution is very easy, but at this point I just can't seem to figure it out. Thank you in advance for your response. I hope to hear back from you shortly.

Return to posts index

Danny WinnRe: Help! Rotoscoped figure showing up as white mask!
by on Oct 12, 2009 at 2:11:35 am

Try setting your mask properties to reverse or invert, can't remember what the option is call since I'm not in front of my editing computer. That might work.

Return to posts index

Phillip EnriquezRe: Help! Rotoscoped figure showing up as white mask!
by on Oct 12, 2009 at 3:18:44 am

Thanks for replying Danny. I tried playing around with the settings for my mask properties without success. But after messing around with the settings for Track Mattes I came across the solution...I changed the Track Matte for the footage layer to 'Alpha Matte' and problem solved!

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Help! Rotoscoped figure showing up as white mask!
by on Oct 12, 2009 at 1:30:54 pm

Another way is to draw the mask directly on the footage layer, since it sounds as if you've drawn it on a solid layer stacked above the footage layer.

You should know both techniques, since each has its advantages, which you will come to know over time. If you need to change between those techniques, just select and copy the mask keyframes, and paste them onto the new solid or the footage layer.

But it sounds like you've gotten the mask-on-a-solid thing fine.

Return to posts index

Phillip EnriquezRe: Help! Rotoscoped figure showing up as white mask!
by on Oct 12, 2009 at 10:13:35 pm

Thank you for your reply Steve. I am aware of drawing the mask directly on the footage layer and yes in this instance I have rotod on a solid stacked above the footage. You are also right that each technique has its advantages, which is why I will continue to implement both methods in my roto work in order to become a better rotoscoper.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]