Rendering Issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danny Soderberg
Rendering Issue
on Oct 10, 2009 at 11:23:21 pm

Hi,

I have been having this issue in After Effects:

Whenever I render any video in After Effects, it only renders about three seconds (no matter how many effects I have applied to the video).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Daniel

Return to posts index

Xinlai Ni
Re: Rendering Issue
on Oct 11, 2009 at 4:07:28 am

Have you checked the "Render Settings" options of your render queue item? I think it will by default render your work area unless you manually override it to the range you want to render.

Xinlai Ni

Return to posts index

Danny Soderberg
on Oct 11, 2009 at 4:16:36 am

Thanks for the idea, but I will set the work area I want it to render and I set it for more than 3 seconds.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 12, 2009 at 9:02:40 pm

[Danny Soderberg] "Whenever I render any video in After Effects, it only renders about three seconds..."

Since that's the ONLY information we have to go on -- and it isn't much, either -- let's eliminate the two most common AE errors:

Got Open GL turned on for rendering? Turn it off. Not even the guys at Adobe use Open GL for rendering... they know better.

Using footage straight out of an HDV camera? Read this:

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Danny Soderberg
on Oct 12, 2009 at 9:58:54 pm

Thanks for the post,

Open GL was turned on but when I turned it off it changed nothing.

I do work with HDV footage straight from the camera but it looks like you forgot to put something after "Read this"

Let me know of any other information that would help.

Thanks,
Daniel

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 12, 2009 at 10:02:27 pm

[Danny Soderberg] "...it looks like you forgot to put something after "Read this""
Here it is:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Danny Soderberg
on Oct 12, 2009 at 10:06:26 pm

Thats very good to know! What should I convert the files too?

Thanks,
Daniel

Return to posts index

Danny Soderberg
on Oct 13, 2009 at 7:18:18 pm

Dave,

Again I wanted to say thanks for the tip. I was wondering though if you either knew of a step by step explanation of how to conver the files or if you knew a good way/codec yourself.

Thanks,
-Daniel

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 13, 2009 at 7:42:19 pm

Since I'm a Mac guy, I'd use Quicktime's Animation codec for video with a lot of big areas of a single color, or Quicktime's PNG codec (not a PNG sequence) for more highly-detailed video. Both are lossless, and since mpeg2 is a lossy codec, you need to preserve what quality you have.

On a windows box? I got no clue other than uncompressed AVI.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Danny Soderberg
on Oct 13, 2009 at 7:49:35 pm

And to do the conversion, do I just bring the HDV file into AE and export the whole thing as uncompressed AVI. Then import it back in to start editing?

Thanks,
-Daniel

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 13, 2009 at 7:53:38 pm

[Danny Soderberg] "...do I just bring the HDV file into AE and export the whole thing...?"

You do NOT. You use a different application like Quicktime Pro, Apple's Compressor or Adobe Media Encoder.

Isn't HDV fun?

HDV's a stinkin' lousy crappy way to treat perfectly good video if you ask me....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Danny Soderberg
on Oct 13, 2009 at 8:06:32 pm

Haha yeah... Do you know a good converter for a PC (that's what I run on).

Thanks,
Daniel

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 13, 2009 at 8:09:56 pm

Yeah, MPEG Streamclip or Adobe Media Encoder. Don't have 'em? It's time to start googlin', 'cause I'm a Mac guy.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Danny Soderberg
on Oct 13, 2009 at 9:05:30 pm

I've done a little research and I am finding it hard to find Adobe Media Encoder. It says it is a stand alone application, but it says you use it by exporting from Premiere Pro? Is there anyone else that can help me with this?

Thanks,
Daniel

Return to posts index

Marcello Mazzilli
on Oct 13, 2009 at 10:56:20 pm

MPEG Streamclip is free and also for PC.. you can find it here...
http://www.squared5.com/

I don't know what format it allows you to convert MPEG2 to but it should use almost any AVI codec you have installed on your machine. If the purpose is to actually work with the clips (maybe in realtime in Premiere etc..) you should change MPEG2 from HDV in Cineform (500$)... If you can manage to edit slowly and you have plenty of space you can just use "no-compression" settings in your AVI. There are other free codecs you can install and use.
I think installing from here should give you a good range of choices...
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/AVI_Codec_Pack.htm
Still.. by manual you should not convert at all (to keep all information) or use no-compression settings.. allthough CineForm is virtually lossles

PS Your 3 sec problem could come from somewhere else. If the project is kind of complex, or your computer to small (to little ram).. After FX can give that kind of problems. There is a secret keycombination to reveal an extra setting panel in the preferences to force it to discard cache every so and so frames.

hold the shift key, go to edit > preferences > memory & cache and you’ll be surprised to see a new entry in the drop down menu called ’secret’: the most interesting setting is the one that you can clear the memory after a specific amount of rendered images: ‘disable layer cache’

siRoma di Marcello Mazzilli
Corporate video productions in Italy
http://www.siroma.com

Return to posts index

Danny Soderberg
on Oct 14, 2009 at 2:42:11 am

Thanks for the info.

So what you are saying is, to keep the HDV footage totally full quality, I shouldn't touch it at all?

My comp has 4gb of RAM so I don't think that's an issue.

In the secret menu, can you explain what exactly I should change?

Thanks!
-Daniel

Return to posts index

Marcello Mazzilli
on Oct 14, 2009 at 6:43:06 am

Yes... If your aim is to keep quality and the only reason for converting is to feed AfterFX with some easier codec (non intra frame) I'd go for no compressed (but takes a lot of space)

The aim of the secret option is to reduce the amount of frames it keeps in cache.. You should try with different values because if possible this is an operation that should NOT be done

siRoma di Marcello Mazzilli
Corporate video productions in Italy
http://www.siroma.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]