ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Scrolling Numbers on Graph

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adhish YajnikScrolling Numbers on Graph
by on Oct 10, 2009 at 9:03:29 pm

I'm making an animated line graph in AE, and want to have a text layer just above the line with numbers scrolling based on the value of the graph at the current time as it goes up and down over the course of the timeline. The numbers effect only goes up to 30,000 and I need numbers as high as 350,000. I've looked at some of Dan Ebberts' expressions at motionscript, and the best one I found ( only allows you to scroll numbers between two points in time, rather than allowing you to scroll to different numbers over the course of the timeline.

I'm wondering if there's a simple way to do this with expressions or with free plugin. Any help would be kindly appreciated!

~ Adhish

Return to posts index

Will CavanaghRe: Scrolling Numbers on Graph
by on Oct 10, 2009 at 10:00:30 pm

Unless you need to do something fancier, here's an option:

1. add a slider control to the text layer, name it "Bob"
2. Set the text's "Source Text" equal to Math.round(effect("Bob")("Slider"))

With a slider named bob on the text layer, set keyframes at every point the value hits a peak or valley. The expression will take the current numeric value of the slider, rounded to the nearest whole number and display it. Use the text alignment to control how the text "moves" as digits add and subtract (align right if you want extra digits to add on the left side). If you need zeroes there when the value is less than 30,000 ask and I'll write a new expression for you.

If you need to do this a lot, you could probably write a script that automatically pulls values from the graph if you're making it in Excel or something...

Return to posts index

Adhish YajnikRe: Scrolling Numbers on Graph
by on Oct 10, 2009 at 11:20:20 pm

I guess I assumed it would be complicated that I didn't try the simplest technique, which you pointed out. Thanks, this works perfectly!

~ Adhish

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: Scrolling Numbers on Graph
by on Oct 12, 2009 at 2:30:43 pm

In the olden days, long before expression controls, we would just assign a series of keyframes for the values and tweak them as needed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved